The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru

by Saina » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:41 pm

I craved for Burgundy tonight. Drinking this is making me very happy now!

• 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune (6/18/2006)
    Deep colour, but very see-through. The nose has lots of red berries, vegetal, earthy, rusty and delighfully rustic (reminds me of Nebbiolo!). The palate is a bit extracted and lacks the poise of a GC though. Divine levels of acidity! It is still a bit tannic. Bloody good stuff, anyway. Too young. My one other bottle will wait another five years or so.

Posted from CellarTracker

What sort of oak regimen do they use for this? It seems there was quite a bit of oak, but it has integrated well.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:36 pm

I am not positive, but I think it sees about 50% new oak. It's actually my favorite Jadot wine (if you take QPR into account). All my bottles are still way too young though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru

by Sam Platt » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Otto, I've had a bunch of bottles of the '98 Jadot CdU thanks to the local wine mart sticking it in the cut-out bin. It just seems to get better and better each time I drink it. I am down to just two bottles and was going to drink one in '07 and the other in '08. Perhaps that too soon. I am amazed to hear that the '93 is still too young. The '98 CdU's that I've had ended up in the cut-out bin about two years ago because they were supposedly past their drinking window. Ha! So much for conventional wisdom.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 1993 Louis Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules 1er Cru

by Saina » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:30 am

Sam Platt wrote:Otto, I've had a bunch of bottles of the '98 Jadot CdU thanks to the local wine mart sticking it in the cut-out bin. It just seems to get better and better each time I drink it. I am down to just two bottles and was going to drink one in '07 and the other in '08. Perhaps that too soon. I am amazed to hear that the '93 is still too young. The '98 CdU's that I've had ended up in the cut-out bin about two years ago because they were supposedly past their drinking window. Ha! So much for conventional wisdom.

I thought 98 was a fine if rather slow evolving vintage for reds. Whose drinking windows were they going by? Parker & al's? They are odd: their drinking windows are exactly when I would avoid drinking Burgundies. Glad you got a good bargain on a good wine, though. I've usually thought that Clos des Ursules is good from about 10 to 15 years. 93 seems to be more like from 15 to 20 though. Not had the 98 so wouldn't know but trust yourself: Burgundy lasts much better than many people say. And never trust what Parker & al say about Burgundy.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.