The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

CompuServe Forum Poll: Are wine labels too complicated?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

CompuServe Forum Poll: Are wine labels too complicated?

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Amid discussion about simplifying French wine laws and making wine easier for consumers to understand, the wine label comes into our view: Generally speaking, do you think most wine labels are too complicated, just right, or not informative enough? Please tell us your opinion in this week's poll:

Click here to vote!
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: CompuServe Forum Poll: Are wine labels too complicated?

by John Treder » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:22 pm

No. The labels on vitamin bottles are too complicated. :twisted:
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:42 am

Wine labels are plenty informative to someone who has the interest, time, and energy to learn how to read them. They are, however, by no means intuitive and, to my mind, the meaning of a label on any consumer product should be intuitive. Labels, in general, for all their straightforward appearance still need a translation. Just how much fat can be in a fat-free product? Just how much caffeine can be in a decaffeinated product? Just how much cabernet sauvignon is in your cabernet sauvignon? Just what is regulated verbiage and just what is left to the creative juices of the label designer? I guess like anything else in life, I wish labels would say what they mean and mean what they say.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am

I also vote 'no'. I think it's better to learn about things than to want them to be forever simplified. We are witnessing an overall simplification of popular culture these days, I think, and while it makes it easier for life to move along at breakneck speed, I don't think it's any better than when one could actually take the time to study about a given topic and know something about it.

I don't even find German wine labels intimidating. More information is always better IMO.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca