The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1990 Chateau Leoville Las Casas St. Julien Bordeaux France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1990 Chateau Leoville Las Casas St. Julien Bordeaux France.

by Bob Ross » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:28 pm

WTN: 1990 Chateau Leoville Las Casas St. Julien Bordeaux France. Half bottle. [Janet is booting me out of another section of "our" wine cellar, and I'm drinking up some odds and ends to save the effort of moving them down to "my" cellar.]

This half bottle was an absolute joy to drink -- lovely forward aroma, deep garnet color with just a touch of bricking, deep hue, brilliant color notes in the light, soft red fruit, chocolate notes, light mouth feel, beautifully integrated tannins with a hint of acidity, long long complex finish. Wonderful wine. 5*.

Regards, Bob

PS: this footnote has nothing at all to do with the 1865 ancestor of this wine, but I rarely have an excuse to quote Andre Simon's tasting notes, so I'll seize this occasion:

"[My first impression was] that it was going to be a very great wine; but the impression did not last. It faded away in some unaccountable fashion; there was no life left: something like kissing a ghost; red lips that vanish the moment yours are going to meet them."
Andre Simon on an 1865 Leoville.