The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Two Oceans Pinotage (Western Cape, South Africa)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2003 Two Oceans Pinotage (Western Cape, South Africa)

by Paul B. » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:51 pm

The last time I tried this inexpensive Pinotage, I found it unenjoyable, sweetish and lacking in Pinotage character. That was a year or two ago. I'm happy to say that the 2003 version of this wine is very much in line with what Pinotage should be - albeit in a modern style. That said, it's eminently drinkable.

13% alc. Very dark purple-garnet with a dark magenta hue at the rim. Superb leathery-strawberry/fruitcake Pinotage nose with all manner of sweet spices wafting up from the glass with each swirl. There is also a hint of that most enjoyable South African smokiness on the nose here as well. Dry, crisp, warm, expansive and pleasantly tannic - this is a very well made Pinotage at the price level. It has not been compromised, unlike some previous modern iterations of Pinotage that have disappointed me in recent years. Good, chewy texture on the mid-palate, with balanced acidity and proper flavour replays. Not as leathery as some of the more expensive estate Pinotages out there yet it's still true to the grape, which earns respect from me. About the only indication that this is a basic bottling is the short finish. But overall, it's a pleasant surprise.