The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New York Wine and Culinary Center

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

New York Wine and Culinary Center

by Thomas » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Their Web site is finally up:

http://www.nywcc.com
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: New York Wine and Culinary Center

by Ed Draves » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:22 am

I wish I was going to the opening tomorrow, but I cannot get away. I hope to hit it up this summer. Perhaps Howie or Lee is up for a ride?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:48 am

Thomas wrote:Their Web site is finally up:

http://www.nywcc.com

With NiagarCOOL planned for the Finger Lakes next year, this might be one of the places that makes the planning easier. I see that they have group functions that can be arranged.
What do you think, Howie???
-OW
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 pm

OW Holmes wrote:With NiagarCOOL planned for the Finger Lakes next year, this might be one of the places that makes the planning easier. I see that they have group functions that can be arranged.
What do you think, Howie???

Great minds think alike! :wink:
I was thinking about this when Thomas first posted about the NYWCC a month or more ago. Perhaps we could do the whole weekend in the Finger Lakes and have the "picnic" at the Wine and Culinary Center. Then in '08 we'll go back to the Niagara Peninsula again and visit some other wineries. Stone Church and Flat Rock would be good stops.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:38 pm

Depending on how many days are available for wine trips, I could arrange all sorts of fun wine trips. I believe the Center is close to Seneca and Keuka. Lots of world class wine!
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:39 pm

Ed Draves wrote:Depending on how many days are available for wine trips, I could arrange all sorts of fun wine trips. I believe the Center is close to Seneca and Keuka. Lots of world class wine!

It's about 17 miles to Geneva at the north end of Seneca Lake. West side of Seneca wineries starting with Bellhurst and Billboro are roughly 30 minutes away. East side wineries are about a 45 minute drive from the Center.

Keuka Lake wineries are roughly a 30 - 40 minute drive.

I'm not sure the Center has the facilities needed for the picnic. They do have a private dining room, which might work, but there is not a good spot in the immediate area for a picnic. Kershaw Park is close by, but they allow neither alcohol nor glass beverage containers in the park.

My brother and I walked his dog down to the Center last Friday. There were meetings going on, and we asked the people going in if we could poke our heads in. I only went into the main hallway, and saw the demonstration kitchen plus glimpses of the hands-on kitchen and the dining room. My brother took a walk through the tasting area, and said it reminded him of the Franciscan facility in California. What I saw looked pretty nicely done.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Even if we cannot picnic there it still should be on the short list of things to see (providing it lives up to it's promise and I think it will, all 1st class people involved). Perhaps a winery will allow us some picnic space.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Ed,

The center might accommodate a picnic. There is a lot of upstairs deck space.

I am going to be at the ribbon cutting tomorrow, June 16--if I can get a word in I'll ask the director or whomever is responsible for booking events.

(I have no idea why the date on this post is June 16 at 1:45 am, when it is in fact June 15 at 6 pm; I thought the bb was on Eatsern time. Anyway, the ribbon cutting is the real June 16 at 2 pm.)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:52 pm

There are lots of State Parks in the Finger Lakes that would be ideal for the picnic. Taughannock on the west side of Cayuga is a beautiful setting and has a big pavillion. Our daughter had part of her wedding there. If a place is needed for food preparation (and a bed for Howie), we have a cottage close by that we would be happy to offer.