The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Chinook Cab Franc Rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Chinook Cab Franc Rose

by Jenise » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:03 pm

2005 Chinook Winery Cab Franc Rose
Washington

This wine has quite a following here, and it's release is something looked forward to every summer. I've been waiting to find out why. So yesterday when we were at a wine store called the Purple Smile we ran into our friends Jim and Carol, so I bought a bottle of this out of the cooler and proprietor Jeff served it to us in Riedel glasses at one of his sidewalk tables.

I want to pause for a moment so y'all can reflect on how cool this is, to buy a bottle and consume it at a sidewalk table right there on the spot. Not a restaurant, not a wine bar--just a wine store.

Anyway, the wine: nice fresh strawberry nose. So far, so good, right? Then the taste: little up front, then straight to a bitter, quinine-like offdry finish. I was crushed...I've been waiting three years--for THIS? Then it warmed up, and the strawberries really filled out the middle, along with a dash of basil and pepper, which brought the RS and the bitter note into balance. Question is, did I like it? Well, while sitting there on the sidewalk drinking it with my good friends and talking about how they'll never be able to drag any of us away from this wonderful town, I loved it. But I have to be honest: it's not my style of rose. I'm just never going to get along with that much residual sugar, and I miss the tang and zip of drier styles like the 04 Muga we had last weekend.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: 2005 Chinook Cab Franc Rose

by Clint Hall » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Forget Chinook's Cab Franc rose, Jenise; try their non-rose Cabernet Franc if you haven't done so already. From year to year it's the best inexpensive Washington Cab Franc I've tasted. (Andrew Will, in my opinion, makes WA's best higher priced one.)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 am

Well, the wine didnt seem to be the greatest but it must have been wonderful to be able to sit at a sidewalk cafe like that.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:38 pm

Clint--I have indeed tasted the Chinook CF. Unfortunately perhaps, when I did it was among a lineup of mostly-Loire cab francs and I found it too sweet. On it's own, I know I'd appreciate it more.

Glad to hear good things about the Andrew Will--I picked up a bottle at auction recently so I get to taste one that has a little age on it. Definitely looking forward to that. I also have Colvin and Spring Valley's in the queue. Have you tried either?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:21 pm

Jenise, which Andrew Will Cab Franc did you buy?

No, I haven't checked out the two CFs you mention. I'll look for them.

At its price I'm impressed by the recently released 2004 Cadence Coda Columbia Valley, which I bought for about $18.60. It's 78% Cab Franc and 22% Cab and probably would benefit from another year or so in the bottle. Not much of their Coda is made and it generally sells out pretty quickly. Come to think of it, I've liked everything I've tasted from this garage-size southside-of-Seattle winery.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Clint--dunno. If it's an SV bottling I don't recall which--haven't received the wine yet. The Colvin I've had but the Spring Valley--not yet. It's just a winery I hear spoken well of. From Cadence, I've only had the Taptiel Cabernet which I found a bit on the extracted/heavy side. No idea if that's typical or not.
no avatar
User

Jeff Masnari

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:49 pm

Bellevue, WA

by Jeff Masnari » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:57 pm

I want to pause for a moment so y'all can reflect on how cool this is, to buy a bottle and consume it at a sidewalk table right there on the spot. Not a restaurant, not a wine bar--just a wine store

Jenise if you're ever in Kirkland visit the Grape Choice! The shop is down near a waterfront park in Kirkland and has both indoor and outdoor seating. We often meet my sister-in-law there on Saturday nights. She's a hair stylist in Kirkland and knows practically everyone. The owner of the shop is a state legislature representative and great guy. I will warn you it is a dog friendly enviroment so if you have issues with canines.....

jeff
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:42 am

Hey, I love dogs! I'm terminally allergic to them, but a sidewalk wine store is the safest possible place to meet them--like the French bulldog puppy we met while sipping the Chinook. The Grape Choice sounds great. I love how progressive Washington is, allowing people to consume wine purchased in wine stores on the premesis, or take partial bottles home with you. Never could do either in California.