The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NiagaraCOOL Photo Show

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

NiagaraCOOL Photo Show

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:54 pm

It was indeed a great pleasure to meet everyone this past weekend! Thank you to Howie for being a generous organizer, host, and cook! Ed Draves - thank you for all you did, too! Thank you Robin for picking me up at my hotel and for our GPS moments trying to get to the picnic location! It was truly a learning experience!

My wines of the weekend were:

Treleaven 2005 Dry Riesling Finger Lakes - there was no doubt this was incredibly well balanced with crisp acidity and nectarine/pear fruit with a very lingering and elegant finish.

Weingut G. Breuer 1976 Ruedesheimer Berg Rotland Riesling Auslese - I was just very intrigued by the tangerine color of this older wine, probably the oldest wine I have ever had. I was amazed by its very present acidity among the thick honey notes.

OW Holmes' Palazzo della Torre 1999 Allegrini - no doubt I am a total sucker for an excellent old world wine. It is a shame this producer from the land of my ancestors decided to go modern after the 2000 vintage, so I am told. I had a horrible experience with their 03 Valpolicella, but this 99 PDT was pure heaven. Luscious barnyard, elegant acidity, dark fruit without being jammy. YUMMMMMM! Thank you OW for bringing it!!!

I surprisingly enjoyed the Lover's Leap Cynthiana which went well with grilled Italian sausage from "La cucina del signore Howie".

Enjoy the photo show!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Bu2cI2uz
Last edited by Paulo in Philly on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: NiagaraCOOL Photo Show

by Bob Ross » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:20 pm

Thanks for the photos, Paulo. I was very sorry to have a conflict in scheduling, but your photos made me feel I was there.

Thanks. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Thanks for the photos, Paulo. I was very sorry to have a conflict in scheduling, but your photos made me feel I was there.

Thanks. Regards, Bob

Thanks, Bob! I look forward to meeting you one of these days - we are not that far from each other!!!! I am spending a week up in the Berkshires teaching at a Vocal camp in early July, then I head to Italy late July for our choral/cultural program in Umbria; I return mid August. Let me know when you are around this summer and we'll try to get together!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Paulo,
I have never been to an event like this. Your pictures really clinch the deal for me. What a load of fun you guys had. Maybe if I show these pictures to my wife I can convince her that we should go to this or McCool Thanks again!
Cheers!
James
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:16 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Paulo,
I have never been to an event like this. Your pictures really clinch the deal for me. What a load of fun you guys had. Maybe if I show these pictures to my wife I can convince her that we should go to this or McCool Thanks again!
Cheers!
James

Thanks, James! Offlines are always exciting - that is why I made the effort to go!
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:37 pm

fantastic presentation!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:40 pm

Ed Draves wrote:fantastic presentation!

Thanks, Ed! Thank YOU for everything - you were very gracious!

By the way, I had the Enta Rosso that I bought at your store - it was a great Sicilian red - definitely not a fruit bomb, but quite elegant and spicy!!!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Wow. Great photo show Paulo. I really enjoyed looking at them. Perhaps one of these years I might actually make it to one myself.

Good job.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:17 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Wow. Great photo show Paulo. I really enjoyed looking at them. Perhaps one of these years I might actually make it to one myself.

Good job.

Thanks, Bruce! It is certainly worth the effort - I am so gladd I went. Now, my next quest is to meet some of the West Coast folks at some point!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:48 pm

Wow!
Paulo that was great! Wish I could have been there. Oh yeah, I was :)
It was truly a peasure to spend time with you and everyone there. I was also very impressed with the Weingut G. Breuer 1976 Ruedesheimer Berg Rotland Riesling Auslese. I'll try to post my taste-off scores and other TNs in a day or so (still catching up :cry: .
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:29 pm

Holy cow, Paulo. What a show. And I never noticed you taking a picture. What fun. Hope to see you at MoCOOL.
-OW
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 pm

OW Holmes wrote:Holy cow, Paulo. What a show. And I never noticed you taking a picture. What fun. Hope to see you at MoCOOL.

Thanks, OW! I would have taken even more pictures but I was very distracted enjoying the Palazzo della Torre you brought! 8)

Not sure I will be able to make it to MOCOOL as I will have just gotten back from spending 3 weeks in Italy. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife - please send her my regards!
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:30 pm

Bravo, Paulo! Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing it.
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:50 pm

JuliaB wrote:Bravo, Paulo! Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing it.
JuliaB

Grazie, bella! :wink:
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

by Tyler Brebbermann » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:58 am

It was a pleasure enjoying your pictures and the presentation Paulo. Hope to have mine as well as my tasting notes up soon. What a great weekend 8).

Tyler
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:44 am

Great stuff as usual, Paulo.
You're wasting your talents doing that singing thing. Instead you could go around the country and document off-lines, jeebi, and assorted COOLs. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:47 am

Yeah, Bill, but think of the fun he has with the ladies who sing along with him!!!
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:21 am

Tyler Brebbermann wrote:It was a pleasure enjoying your pictures and the presentation Paulo. Hope to have mine as well as my tasting notes up soon. What a great weekend 8).

Tyler

Thanks, Tyler! Was great fun to meet you and Josh! I look forward to your notes which I am sure will be fantastic! 8)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:22 am

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Great stuff as usual, Paulo.
You're wasting your talents doing that singing thing. Instead you could go around the country and document off-lines, jeebi, and assorted COOLs. :wink:

Thanks, Bill! Hey - if I can get paid doing this, I would be more than glad to go around the world taking pictures of wineries and wine gatherings! Hope all is well at your neck of the woods! :)
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Paulo,
Excellent Photo-Show and great choice of music saw it at work today, very soothing.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Victorwine wrote:Hi Paulo,
Excellent Photo-Show and great choice of music saw it at work today, very soothing.

Salute

Thanks, Victor!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Great photos, Paulo. Tell me, is Paul B. the one in the shorts with the hat?

Love the music, too. It had me thinking Liz Story or Jim Chappell--not familiar with the artist it was instead though. Is that available on disc?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:30 pm

Jenise wrote:Great photos, Paulo. Tell me, is Paul B. the one in the shorts with the hat?

Love the music, too. It had me thinking Liz Story or Jim Chappell--not familiar with the artist it was instead though. Is that available on disc?

Thanks, Jenise. Yes - Paul B is wearing shorts and a hat (and a shirt, too! LOL). At the very end of the photo show credits appear and should have the name of the artist. I will look it up for you since I don't remember who it is. LOL. This is not part of my personal CD collection but from Comcast's collection.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:39 pm

Paulo Faustini wrote:Thanks, OW! I would have taken even more pictures but I was very distracted enjoying the Palazzo della Torre you brought!

Because of our positive experience with the '99, and to conserve the two I have left, I opened a '98 last night. I must have had this before but I don't remember. Not good. I couldn't even tell if it was not yet there (don't think so), was past being there (a possibility), or would never get there (a probability). Nuts.
Oh well, the '99 was a happy surprise.
-OW
Next