Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite steak side dish?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What's your favorite steak side dish?

by Jenise » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Reading through Larry's thread just now, I found myself trying to picture Mike H's meal last Saturday night (I think in pictures), and the steak in my mind's eye looked rather forlorn because I didn't know what it was paired with.

I know a baked potato is the American classic. And I love, LOVE, baked potatoes, but I rarely serve them with steak for some reason. I guess it's because I tend to reflexively pair dry with wet, and steak plus baked potato is dry-dry to me. I'm more inclined, if serving potatoes, to serve a mash or gratin and save the bakers for a vegetarian lunchtime main course. We also love a mushroommy rice pilaf with steak, or in summer, a simple set of tomato slices lightly marinated in a vinaigrette and topped with chives and blue cheese.

What's with steak at your house?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: What's your favorite steak side dish?

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:45 pm

For me it's still ye olde baked potato or fries for a t-bone, a porterhouse (my fave) or a ribeye. Of course, some corn on the cob doesn't hurt in this circumstance either. If it's a filet mignon or maybe a Chateau Briand, then the taters au gratin and maybe some nutmeg-scented spinach do quite nicely.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Depends on if its summer or winter. Summertime calls for potato salad and/or corn on the cob. Winter can be either a baked potato (with sour cream and butter) or string type pasta (spaghetti, linguini, angel hair) tossed with EVOO, garlic and romano cheese.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Jenise wrote:What's with steak at your house?

Caesar salad, or Baked Potato [edit: blush, can't believe I did that!!], or sauted (VERY lightly) spoon spinach.
Last edited by ScottD on Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:00 pm

A steakhouse we enjoyed before they closed served creamed spinach. Sounds like a mismatch, but it worked well.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:A steakhouse we enjoyed before they closed served creamed spinach. Sounds like a mismatch, but it worked well.

Mismatch? It's perhaps the most classic of all the steakhouse pairings. I love it.

My number one pick has to be french fried potatoes - that and a steak, and a carafe of red and I'm a happy man.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:53 pm

Vegetables, usually steamed with a balsamic reduction. Just about anything green or yellow and sometimes carrots. Also, a small salad, almost always Romaine with a variety of chop ups -- apples, pears, tomatos, cucumbers.

Once in a great while, baby potatoes, steamed and then lightly sauteed.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:39 pm

I go back and forth between a baked potato, loaded with butter and sour cream and *good* pommes frites (picked that habit up in France.) I also love sauteed mushrooms and onions. Crusty bread, again with butter. And a tossed green salad with romaine and garden tomatoes and a *good* Roquefort dressing.

And, of course, a porterhouse would be my choice of steaks - cooked over CHARCOAL, rare (no reference to any previous threads intended.)

Guess I need a lot of "sides."
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:40 pm

ChefCarey wrote:I go back and forth between a baked potato, loaded with butter and sour cream and *good* pommes frites (picked that habit up in France.) I also love sauteed mushrooms and onions. Crusty bread, again with butter. And a tossed green salad with romaine and garden tomatoes and a *good* Roquefort dressing.

And, of course, a porterhouse would be my choice of steaks - cooked over CHARCOAL, rare (no reference to any previous threads intended.)

Damn, I just made myself hungry!
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:43 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:I go back and forth between a baked potato, loaded with butter and sour cream and *good* pommes frites (picked that habit up in France.) I also love sauteed mushrooms and onions. Crusty bread, again with butter. And a tossed green salad with romaine and garden tomatoes and a *good* Roquefort dressing.

Damn, I just made myself hungry!

And, how in the hell could I have forgotten the red wine?!!!! I *have* to have a robust red wine with steak!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:33 pm

Chef, Chef, Chef (not imploring, just in honor of your three posts): steak and fries. I like the combination okay, but I've never quite understood why this is a classic, must-have combination. Can you enlighten me?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Chef, Chef, Chef (not imploring, just in honor of your three posts): steak and fries. I like the combination okay, but I've never quite understood why this is a classic, must-have combination. Can you enlighten me?

Interesting question. What makes something "classic" anyway? Meat. Potatoes. I would have to say that it was a bistro staple, people liked the way they went together, and kept ordering it. Other restaurants observed this, and began serving them, too.

There's something about a hot pile of thin fries, dusted with salt, that just complements a rare steak like nothing else. It's simple, honest food - no manipulation, no fakery.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:15 pm

Used to be the typical baked potato with the works, green salad, and mushrooms
Now.... filet with mashed garlic, sour cream spuds, fresh roasted asparagus, and tomato, bread salad.

Ribeye, grilled - green beans with cherry toms, garlic and a sprinkle of balsamic. Sometimes with Osem Israeli Couscous, with lemon, parsley and garlic.

New York, or Sirloin - oven fries, a mixture of lots of different mushrooms sauteéd in butter, chives, garlic and onion. A musclun salad with a simple vinaigrette. :lol:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 pm

Mismatch? It's perhaps the most classic of all the steakhouse pairings. I love it.

Hey, I'm just a dumb old Okie. I don't know about them fancy things. I just learned about shoes a couple of years ago....
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:57 am

Randy Buckner wrote:Hey, I'm just a dumb old Okie. I don't know about them fancy things. I just learned about shoes a couple of years ago....

Bucko,
What did you learn about shoes? Could it be where to place them? :lol:

Walt
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:42 am

Jenise wrote:Chef, Chef, Chef (not imploring, just in honor of your three posts): steak and fries. I like the combination okay, but I've never quite understood why this is a classic, must-have combination. Can you enlighten me?

I think what John said is close to the mark - elegant simplicity and no fakery. There were a couple of places I ate regularly in Paris where the menu was basically steak and frites. Fast, simple, no trickery.

In restaurants we tend, when we have several starches available, to associate fried potatoes with grilled entrees and dishes sauteed with a risotto or pilaf. Of course, there are some notable exceptions to these rules of thumb, kebabs come immediately to mind.
no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

by MichaelJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 am

Frites, frites, and more frites. 8)

Why is it classic? Perhaps because the fries are the best at sopping up the steak juices.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:47 pm

ChefCarey wrote:I think what John said is close to the mark - elegant simplicity and no fakery.

Chef, John, Howie, and Michael J:

Michael's comment about sopping up the juices, Howie's comment about corn on the cob and Chef's comment about restaurants together made something click in my head: to me, steak is knife and fork food, and fries are finger food. (I know, they don't have to be and in a restaurant setting I would not eat with my hands, but that's how I relate to them nonetheless). So, of course, is corn on the cob. And I tend to not like mixed-instrument entrees 'cuz I'm a girl and I can't stand the grubby fingerprints on the cutlery or my ever-present wine glass: I want to eat the whole meal with my hands OR with a knife and fork, but never both.

And since steak is about the last thing I order in restaurants, not even in Europe have I ordered a steak and fries. Seems odd looking back since I tend to order local classics when I travel (mussels and frites--done it!), but there it is.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Jenise wrote: to me, steak is knife and fork food, and fries are finger food. I want to eat the whole meal with my hands OR with a knife and fork, but never both.

Huh?

I thought the fork was just to pin the steak down on the trencher so it didn't move around while you chowed down on it - no fingers needed (a bib is de rigeur though)

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:55 am

Since we are not major steak fans I was not going to reply but one side just jumps out. I agree with most that potatoes are the starch of choice. Baked potatoes are OK but I do not like french fries as they contain too much fat and pommes frites are great but good ones are terribly time consuming. For lack of a better word I will call my dish sauteed ptotatoes. Cut spuds into 1 1/2" cubes and partially cook in boiling water then drain. Just before serving put in a hot sautee pan with OO, minced garlic and fresh rosemary and brown. Taste is great, less fat and goes great with the steak, or in our case most anything you want to serve them with.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:19 am

With steak fries and a field green salad w/a scant bit of bleu cheese dressing. That is carnivore heaven for me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Walt, excellent point. Even if good fries are GREAT with steak, good fries aren't so easy to come by. I learned a fabulous method for making oven fries from Cooks Illustrated a year or so ago--are you familiar with it? Low fat, great texture. I usually serve them with herb-crusted pounded skinless/boneless chicken breasts.

But when in a hurry, or when you want to put flavor into the potatoes, your method is great: crispy outsides and creamy insides. And no deep-fried guilt.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Jenise wrote: Low fat, great texture. I usually serve them with herb-crusted pounded skinless/boneless chicken breasts.

Either double fried (the ones that magically puff up) or the stringy matchstick type are great with steak.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:10 pm

Jenise wrote: I learned a fabulous method for making oven fries from Cooks Illustrated a year or so ago--are you familiar with it?

care to share, if you have a chance?
Next