Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Apple pie emergency

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Apple pie emergency

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:25 pm

My husband requested a freeform apple tart for his birthday dinner. I make apple pies out of Macintosh apples. Indeed, so sold am I on this one variety that I've never used any other. NEVER.

Well, I've been to every store in town and there would appear to be no Macintosh anywhere. There are, however, jonagolds, golden delicious, granny smith, braeburn, gala and fuji. I'm at a complete loss as to what to buy.

What I like about Macintosh: fine textured not mealy, they melt into one another, tart and moist.

Of those I mentioned being available to me, is there another apple or combination of apple types any of you fine cooks would recommend? I was kind of thinking a combo of golden delicious and granny smith, but honestly I've never cooked ANY of these apple types so I haven't a flipping clue.

All suggestions welcome.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Apple pie emergency

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Carole is sold on Granny Smith FWIW. The Granny Smith apples retain their shape when baked, and they provide nice tartness and flavor. She throws in a few yellow delicious slices because they cook down into a sauce, thickening the pie somewhat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Bucko, thanks, this is just the kind of description/advice I need.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:27 pm

Wish Bob Happy Birthday for us.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Jenise wrote:I was kind of thinking a combo of golden delicious and granny smith, but honestly I've never cooked ANY of these apple types so I haven't a flipping clue.

I'm with Bucko ... Granny Smith are firm and tart and should give you similar results to Macintosh. Winesap would be nice too, if you can get them. Do not use any form of Delicious for cooking: They're nothing but sugar. (Heck, I wouldn't even eat one, but that's just me.)
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:26 am

Jenise, this might be too late, but I was watching a Julia Childs DVD recently, and I *think* she said she liked the golden delicious for tarts. My hero Jacques Pepin recommends the GD too in one of his apple tart recipes. Personally I like the grannys...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:35 am

I prefer Cortlands to Macs. They are very similar in nature - crisp, tart, but for some reason they do not turn brown when cut - making them good to use in salads also.
no avatar
User

G Stewart

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm

Chinon, Central France

Apples for use in cooking

by G Stewart » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:44 am

celia wrote:My hero Jacques Pepin recommends the GD too in one of his apple tart recipes. Personally I like the grannys...

I agree. GD would be nice if they actually tasted of something. Granny Smiths have much more of a kick to them, as do cox apples and various other traditional cooking apples. Another, sweeter one I go for is the Braeburn.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:26 am

Another, sweeter one I go for is the Braeburn.

This is a very good all around apple that doesn't seem to get much credit.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:40 am

Randy Buckner wrote:
Another, sweeter one I go for is the Braeburn.

This is a very good all around apple that doesn't seem to get much credit.

We never saw them here until about a year ago, but now Whole Foods brings in a bunch of them, for a good part of the year if not year-round.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:46 am

Braeburn apples store very well BTW.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:13 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I prefer Cortlands to Macs. They are very similar in nature - crisp, tart, but for some reason they do not turn brown when cut - making them good to use in salads also.

Howie, sounds perfect. Unfortunately Cortlands are strictly east coast apples--I've never even seen one!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:21 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:Randy Buckner
Über geek

Hey! You're the first forumite to hit the next "rank"!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:11 pm

celia wrote:Jenise, this might be too late, but I was watching a Julia Childs DVD recently, and I *think* she said she liked the golden delicious for tarts. My hero Jacques Pepin recommends the GD too in one of his apple tart recipes. Personally I like the grannys...

Celia, welcome to the forum and thanks for that information. Julia and Jacques are certainly people I'd listen to. Btw, have we met before? At first I thought you might be Celia from Sydney, but I can't imagine Julia and Jacques down under, so....

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to go out today and buy a ton of apples and play with several combinations. In fact, here's an idea: I have to make like three pies to feed the crowd I'm serving dinner to anyway, so maybe I'll make several variants and let my guests play the role of Guest Judge! One will be GD and granny smith in combination--Bucko really sold me on that idea.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Please be sure to post the results Jenise. My personal current favorite for eating is the Pink Lady, but I'm not sure how well it will cook up. My mom always used granny Smiths for cooking (she used to say that almost everything else turned to applesauce and she wasn't making an applesause pie, she was making an apple pie). Kristi on the otherhand really like the Braeburn apples that we've had here in Charleston for ages. I think she also uses Jonagold (she's at Lisa's for a study session for Micro right now so I can't ask her).
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Sorry this is late

by Howard » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:08 pm

I use Granny Smith and Braeburns when I can. Golden delicious will hold up but have no flavor.

Hope it went well.
Howard
Howard
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

Happy Birthday

by David Cohen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:35 pm

Jenise

Wish Bob happy birthday for me .
Cheers

David
no avatar
User

David Cohen

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Toronto

by David Cohen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:36 pm

Wish Bob a happy, perhaps belated Birthday for me.
Cheers

David