The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine des Baumard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Domaine des Baumard

by Saina » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks to Pekko and Anton for organising this lovely tasting. I left in such a hurry that I forgot my notes at the tasting (yet still managed to miss the train :mad: ), so I hope these lurkers will correct me if I got something wrong:

• N.V. Domaine des Baumard Crémant de Loire - France, Loire Valley, Crémant de Loire (1/9/2008)
    The nose is rather attractive in its leafy and cassis notes that are married to a strawberried fruit. The palate is a bit too soft and despite some attractive mineral notes, it comes across as a little dull.
  • N.V. Domaine des Baumard Crémant de Loire Carte Turquoise - France, Loire Valley, Crémant de Loire (1/9/2008)
    A very attractive, crisp bottle, with much grass/clover and flowers. Elegant mousse. Fruity but crisp and very refreshing and mineral. Charming.
  • 2004 Domaine des Baumard Crémant de Loire Tirage - France, Loire Valley, Crémant de Loire (1/9/2008)
    It started out rather nutty and monolithic, but became more elegant with air. It isn't as personal in style as the basic NV bubbly but is still an attractive drink. The mousse isn't terribly elegant, as is a bit too frothy. Elegant fruit, much minerals, even quite a bit of tannins. Nice.
  • 2004 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos de Saint Yves - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/9/2008)
    A wonderful nose: hay, funk/wool, earth, minerals and citrus. A tight, linear, precise palate, very mineral. The aftertaste grows in intensity. It may be a bit closed right now, but I love it anyway.
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos de Saint Yves - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/9/2008)
    This was rather reductive and lactic upon opening. It opened up to show a mineral but very ripe style of Chenin, floral and honeyed. The palate was very full bodied, plump and even oily in texture, sweet and not as acidic as I hoped but still an attractive wine.
  • 2003 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Trie Spéciale - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/9/2008)
    Lactic, sweet and honeyed nose. Thick, clunky, sweet palate - suffers from the '03-syndrome. It is drinkable, but I would rather have something else anyway.
  • 2004 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/9/2008)
    The nose is arrestingly pure in its bright, focused, mineral aromatics. It has a bit of elegant funk, like good Chenin should. Bright, delineated, citrussy, ripe but dry and precise palate. Long, intense and mineral. It is a bit closed now, but I still find it wonderful stuff!
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/9/2008)
    This is a very ripe style of Chenin, but it is still a pure expression of the grape. Mineral, fat but structured. Long, but fruit-forward, aftertaste. Very nice, if a bit on the ripe side.
  • 2004 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Cuvée Le Paon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (1/9/2008)
    A very elegant sweetie, with a rather austere nose of green-pea, hay and lots of minerals. It is sweet but has great precision from the sufficient acidity. Incredible length. Very refreshing despite being sweet. Lovely.
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Cuvée Le Paon - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (1/9/2008)
    A nice wine with typical Chenin aromatics of green-pea, hay and citrus. All is well, except that it seems a bit too sweet for the structure. Nice anyway.
  • 2005 Domaine des Baumard Coteaux du Layon Carte d'Or - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Coteaux du Layon (1/9/2008)
    The nose isn't as obviously ripe as some other 2005s today (and therefore this is more to my taste), but rather shows a very pure style of Chenin. It is sweet and not terribly acidic, but is still well balanced. Moderate finish. Very attractive.
  • 2006 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume (1/9/2008)
    Very young, but stunning! It is like a coiled up spring, waiting to burst with energy - a very exciting wine to drink! The pure and extremely mineral nose doesn't suggest sweetness on the palate. And, indeed, though obviously sweet, it is kept in check by acids and minerals. It is a deceptively light wine. Very elegant. Very good.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: Domaine des Baumard

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:00 am

Wow! Thanks for the notes, Otto. That would be a dream tasting for me!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:45 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:N.V. Domaine des Baumard Crémant de Loire[/url] - France, Loire Valley, Crémant de Loire (1/9/2008)
The nose is rather attractive in its leafy and cassis notes that are married to a strawberried fruit. The palate is a bit too soft and despite some attractive mineral notes, it comes across as a little dull.

Thanks for the notes Otto, I love Baumard and had a wonderful tasting wih Florent last year. Is this the Carte Corail rose? The notes seem to suggest it, but I've loved every bottle I've tasted. The finest Cabernet Franc Sparkling wine on the planet! (God, does Inniskillin make a sparkling Cabernet Franc Icewine? I don't want to hear about it... :roll: )
Next time try to to murder so many children though! Savennieres should be old enough to vote. :wink:
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:15 am

Otto

What is the Trie Speciale like in a better year? Is it a dessert wine? I have 2 bottles of the 1997 in my cellar - and have no idea where it's from. Not sure if it is a gift or not but I've never had it before

Thanks
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 am

John F wrote:Otto

What is the Trie Speciale like in a better year? Is it a dessert wine? I have 2 bottles of the 1997 in my cellar - and have no idea where it's from. Not sure if it is a gift or not but I've never had it before

Thanks

It's quite dry, just bigger. The alcohol is (on the label) high, but I think the wine carries it off.

I dig it. The 97 (if I remember right) is very good.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:23 am

JoePerry wrote:

Thanks

It's quite dry, just bigger. The alcohol is (on the label) high, but I think the wine carries it off.

What is the profile in terms of aging? It;s in temp controlled cellar

Thanks
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:09 am

What do you know about the terroir differences between Clos St Yves and Clos du Papillon?

Also, the latter is obviously made by several producers, but is CsY a monopole?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Is this the Carte Corail rose?

I don't remember that on the lable: I only remember the words: Rosé Brut Crémant de Loire. But it was 100% Cab F.

Rahsaan wrote:What do you know about the terroir differences between Clos St Yves and Clos du Papillon?

Also, the latter is obviously made by several producers, but is CsY a monopole?

Nothing.

No idea.

-Otto
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Is this the Carte Corail rose?

I don't remember that on the lable: I only remember the words: Rosé Brut Crémant de Loire. But it was 100% Cab F.

That's it. Try it again!
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:13 pm

John F wrote:
JoePerry wrote:

Thanks

What is the profile in terms of aging? It;s in temp controlled cellar

Thanks

I think it ages pretty well! Give it another 5, I'd say.
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Bergen, Norway

by Håvard Flatland » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:38 am

Are these wines available in Finland? I have some older vintages of Clos Saint Yves. And Papillon 03. I was afraid it would suffer some from the hot vintage..
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:58 pm

Otto,
Nice notes on a producer that seldom dissapoints and reasonably priced.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Håvard Flatland wrote:Are these wines available in Finland? I have some older vintages of Clos Saint Yves. And Papillon 03. I was afraid it would suffer some from the hot vintage..

This were actually samples for an importer (not the one I work for) who will start importing them. I doubt that they will ever be available retail, however. But at least it's good to get some Chenin - even if only at restaurants.

-Otto
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: I doubt that they will ever be available retail, however.

Otto, why is that? Baumard availability hasn't really been a problem in the US. It's not like I trip over stacks of it everywhere, but in some places you could stub a toe or two.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:07 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Otto, why is that? Baumard availability hasn't really been a problem in the US. It's not like I trip over stacks of it everywhere, but in some places you could stub a toe or two.

Because our monopoly Alko has a very nasty way of dealing with importers. Since I started working at one importer's a few weeks ago, I have begun to understand how Alko selects wines. Every year Alko makes a list of what new wines they will want and importers can apply to have their wines that suit the descriptions put on sale (though the importer of course has to donate several bottles of the wine for testing and tasting - for free naturally). But Alko has very specific guidelines for what they want. I did several hours research on a few 2008 releases and realised that they probably have a specific wine that they want with a specific importer, but due to "competition" they can't say straight out that they want that particular wine. :roll: There were several instances where only one wine fitting the description demanded by Alko is imported or represented by a Finnish importer. I think this makes a mockery of the system of selection. At least for 2008 there is only one Loire wine on the list: A Vin de Pay du Jardin de la France Sauvignon Blanc! So no Chenin for us at least this year (or for the past 8 years...)

-Otto
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: There were several instances where only one wine fitting the description demanded by Alko is imported or represented by a Finnish importer. I think this makes a mockery of the system of selection. At least for 2008 there is only one Loire wine on the list: A Vin de Pay du Jardin de la France Sauvignon Blanc! So no Chenin for us at least this year (or for the past 8 years...)

Mon Dieu! Who is the man in charge of these decisions? What is he trying to accomplish? What possible negative consequences would come from bringing in a single Savennieres (surely in all of Finland there are a few people who want it)? Is he afraid that the wine won't turn over? How does one get that job? How are the wine shops in Tallinn, and how far is the ferry ride?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Mon Dieu! Who is the man in charge of these decisions? What is he trying to accomplish?

I have many theories, no answers. I'm hoping some investigative journalism is going to be done - just like with the previous person in charge of wine buying, now fired...