The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Wine Inventory Service (Virtual Cellar)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: New Wine Inventory Service (Virtual Cellar)

by Ed Draves » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:00 pm

The link does not work
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Clicking gets a "nobody home" message. Sorry.
-OW
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:37 am

when I attempted to register, it told me I could only enter whitespace characters in the nickname field. I could not register as I have no clue what that means.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:44 am

DJ,

Welcome to WLDG. And not to be unfriendly, but a folksy "Hey everyone!" from a complete stranger (on these boards, pretty much everyone knows each other) with little detail and a handy link has SPAM written all over it. As a matter of practice, it would usually be better for someone with a sincere desire to to show a product to describe themselves, their product and goals here in a little more detail. Can I ask you to do that now?

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 pm

DJ, that's perfect, just what we needed!

Some questions: What winery in Southern California does your father in law own? And about your inventory system, you said: "The system will take the scores you’ve given to your wines and compare those scores to other users and official scores from sources such as Wine Spectator." From that I deduce that you allow room only for numerical scores in the typical 50-100 pt scale?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:00 pm

Couple of comments.

IMHO this system is of much less use than it might be as it doesn't seem to allow archiving of notes. Numerical scores are for insecure amateurs. The ability to add even a line or two of textual commentary would be far more valuable.

Second, my usual objection to ANY web based cellar management system like this.

Go ahead - invest the hours it will take you to enter your cellar data.

Then if

a) the designer/operator loses interest/ walks under a bus

or

b) they suddenly decide to start charging a fee for the formerly free service (or sell to someone that does)

is there a feature that allows you to download all of the program and content to operate the cellar on your own PC?

If not, it is tantamount to laying your naked 'nads in the owner's hand, trusting that his nice smile means he won't squeeze.....Image
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:13 am

Well answered, sir.

As for me, with more than 4000 bottles I am never likely to find the time to enter my cellar in anything other than the program it is now in. And even if I did, I would not want it viewable by anyone other than me.

I've no interest, for instance, in providing thieves on the internet with a shopping list assuming they could connect my cellar with me and learn my address (not too hard a task these days). I have not delved deeply enough into your system to tell if that would be possible or not.