The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 5 whites and a pink

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 5 whites and a pink

by Marc D » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:30 pm

2004 François Pinon Vouvray Cuvée Tradition - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (6/7/2006)
This bottle had a pine resin note to the nose I hadn't noticed before. Not as floral smelling as a bottle about 6 weeks ago. Apple, pear and quince fruit, good acidity and verve. This seems weightier and with more complexity than previous bottles. Very enjoyable.

2004 Chinook Wines Cabernet Franc - USA, Washington, Yakima Valley (6/6/2006)
With the recent discussion on WA Roses, I found a bottle of this to try and on a day with perfect Rose weather I opened it. It was from last year's release but it still was fresh and vibrant. Pretty coral red color with a little orange at the rim. Nose of red fruits and watermelon. Fresh strawberries in the mouth, with enough acidity to balance and keep things moving. This had enough flavor and body to match well with grilled Copper River King salmon (very rich fish, too). Great Cab Franc Rose, way to go Chinook. I need to find some of the 05 for this summer.

2002 François Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) Cour-Cheverny Cuvée Renaissance - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Cour-Cheverny (6/3/2006)
Amazing wine. The nose is starting to close a bit from the last bottle. Still, very nice aromas of wet stones, lemon, and this bottle tonight showed a hint of smoke that maybe portends the petrol aromas the 1996 has developed. Mouth puckering acids, thankfully with a little RS to balance. Very focused, with a hint of red raspberry fruit that is very appealing, lengthy finish. One of the most kinetic wines I've tasted recently.

2004 Champalou Vouvray - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (6/2/2006)
Just about pleasant. Pretty light bodied chenin. Quince and lemon blossom nose. A little soft in the mouth, with mostly apple cider flavors. Good QPR, but not special. For the price I liked the 04 Pichot Vouvray better. Hard core Vouvray fans might be disappointed with this.

2004 Domaine de la Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (6/1/2006)
This wine doesn't really need another tasting note. I would have to say I enjoyed this bottle the best of the 11 I've drank so far, and with only one left from the case, the 05 release is right on time. Pale color, lemon stony nose, great acidity but not sharp, more saline minerally than fruit. This only took about an hour to show well, and the leftovers drank well the next day.

2004 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spätlese Germany, Nahe (5/19/06)
We brought this bottle to the Nimbus restaurant to see how the new chef was doing. The Nimbus is on the top floor of the tallest building in Bellingham and has a stellar view of the bay and San Juan Islands to the west. The menu is creative and they seem to have very fresh high quality ingrediants, but on this night the execution was lacking on a few dishes. The potato and poblano empanada appetizer had great flavor and just the right amount of kick from the chile, but one side of the empanada was over charred and black. The excellent piece of fresh Alaskan King salmon was cooked perfectly with a crispy pan sear outside with the fish still very moist. Unfortunately the salmon was way over salted. MJ's artichoke agnolotti was wonderful, with the pasta cooked perfectly al dente and combined with their home made ricotta was a great dish.

The wine was stellar. It has that exquisite dreamy balance between the primary fruit and sweetness and structure. There is some slate and apple, red cherry, and other fruits, but it is the combination of the flavors and lightness without being thin in anyway that is the most memorable thing for me. The only downside to the wine is how fast the bottle disappears.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 5 whites and a pink

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:37 pm

great notes, I agree on the Pinon and Pepiere.

I really like the '02 Cuvee Renaissance, the problem is I know it's got a long life ahead, but it tastes so good now!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm

The 96 Cazin Cour is still an adolescent, and with the structure of the 02, it could age as long as a good Loire chenin (maybe).

I was struck by the similarity between German Riesling and Cazin's Romorantin. High acid, some residual sugar, and the petrolly nose the '96 Cour Cheverny shows. And they are really undervalued for the quality.

I think the 04 Pinon is improving with a little age. It may not be great, but it sure is enjoyable.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Marc, haven't seen the 05 Chinook yet so we asked Jeff at Purple Smile to order some for our tasting next week--expect to see some there.

Also, bought the last Marechal Cuvee Granite or Gravel--I forget--yesterday at Fairhaven. Thanks for telling me where to look.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Marc, haven't seen the 05 Chinook yet so we asked Jeff at Purple Smile to order some for our tasting next week--expect to see some there.

Thanks, you saved me a trip to Seattle!

BTW (off the topic) have you tried the 04 Pinots from St Innocent? I heard they were released and were reportedly good, but there is so much hype out there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Haven't had the 04 St Innos yet, but I trust Mark when he says it's his best vintage since 92, which he considered his best for classic pinot expression and ageability. He said they're his longest lasting so far. I'll be buyin'. Want me to get you some (club price)?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:50 pm

Marc - I never would have thought to pair the Donnhoff with that kind of food. I still haven't opened my 2002 Donnhoff Felsenberg Spats. The '04 sounds lovely and I may take it along to a beachside restaurant in a couple of weeks.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:33 pm

Agh, the famous Pepiere `04. We are still waiting for this one up here, its on the way!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:49 am

Marc - I never would have thought to pair the Donnhoff with that kind of food. I still haven't opened my 2002 Donnhoff Felsenberg Spats. The '04 sounds lovely and I may take it along to a beachside restaurant in a couple of weeks.

We went to the restaurant with another couple who aren't really into wine. He only likes off dry white wines, so I brought this. It went really well with the pasta which was in a delicate white artichoke based sauce, and was not bad with the salmon which was served with cous cous and morels. The wine was overwhelmed by the empanada app, though.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Marc - it makes perfect sense to bring a wine that you and your guests will enjoy. It doesn't have to pair perfectly with the food and empanadas have to be tough to pair.
Diane
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:05 am

and empanadas have to be tough to pair.

Champagne?

The all-purpose fried food match?

Depending on the filling you could go with different grape mixtures/villages/etc..