"Muffaletta"

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

"Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:20 pm

Yes, I know it's spelled wrong. The local newspaper here ran an article in their food section this morning. The article included recipes for olive dressing, "muffaletta" and "muffaletta" bread. The article was by one Charlotte Durham who credited the recipes to one Ellen Dixon of Memphis.

Isn't it Jeanne Dixon who is the psychic?

She must be related to Ellen since she channelled me.

All three recipes are lifted - quite literally - word for word from my book.
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:48 pm

How mean of you to steal poor Ellen's family recipe. Shame, shame!

:twisted:
User avatar
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin
 
Posts: 4422
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: Big Sky

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Chef,

As an owner of your book, I feel obliged to contact this newspaper and tell them about the psychic miracle. Now, I'm sure you've already done so, but the more the merrier. We can't have Miss Durham running around thinking she's talentless.

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Chef,

As an owner of your book, I feel obliged to contact this newspaper and tell them about the psychic miracle. Now, I'm sure you've already done so, but the more the merrier. We can't have Miss Durham running around thinking she's talentless.

Jenise


Couldn't hurt. :) Here's the real oddity. About three years ago this newspaper ran an article on muffulettas. They contacted Central Grocery and Progressive Grocery in New Orleans. And, oh yeah, me. They chose to run my recipes (same ones) and a photo of the muffuletta.

So, horror of horrors, Ellen may not have even purchased my book, but, rather, clipped the recipes from the newspaper!
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:22 pm

So would this be the Memphis Daily News? I already searched and it was the only largish sounding newspaper I could come up with. Her article wasn't online, in fact almost nothing but public records are available without a subscription, so I need to be sure before I lodge my complaint.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:33 pm

Jenise wrote:So would this be the Memphis Daily News? I already searched and it was the only largish sounding newspaper I could come up with. Her article wasn't online, in fact almost nothing but public records are available without a subscription, so I need to be sure before I lodge my complaint.


The Commercial Appeal - it's a Scripps Howard newspaper. Circulation around 300,000.
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Done!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:21 pm

Jenise wrote:Done!


Thanks, Jenise. :)

For those of you who own a copy of my book, here's the article - get out your hymnals and follow along line by line. :)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/rec ... 73,00.html
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:33 pm

ChefCarey wrote:[For those of you who own a copy of my book, here's the article - get out your hymnals and follow along line by line. :)

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/rec ... 73,00.html


I'm looking at that article, and at pages 71-73 of my copy of the hardcover Taylor Trade edition of Creole Nouvelle.

It's not "word for word", as you said earlier. It's a paraphrase. So I'm afrad they're legal here. Recipes, being processes, legally fall under patent rather than copyright. What's covered by copyright is your exact wording of the recipe, which I note they were careful not to use.

But this is legal in the Meese sense of it not being "an inditable offense". It's certainly blatant plagiarism, and morally reprehensible. Especially since they seem to have gone out of their way to credit Ellen whatshername for it. Either they or this Ellen person have a lot of explaining to do.

-Paul W.
User avatar
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder
 
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Paul, I made the same comparison. So in my complaint to the paper, I noted that "the ingredients list was 100% exact and the instructions about 95% or so. So though not 100%, the few words that were changed leave no doubt about both the original authorship and the real deserving party for credit." And I used the 'p' word, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher
 
Posts: 26459
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:58 pm

At least the clowns could have spelled "Muffuletta" correctly. Who do they think they are, the Manchester Guardian or something?

-Paul W.
User avatar
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder
 
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm
Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks Jenise and Paul (Bob Ross, too.) Yes, it was not "word for word" I admit, but close enough to my ingredient list, wording and procedures that evolved over years of trial and error that it seems extremely unlikely that someone would evolve the same order and diction, especially in a recipe where quanitities would be *so* easy to change and procedural order is not of paramount importance. Also, I have never seen another recipe for a muffuletta that included a bread recipe. I grew up working in my stepfather's bakery and do all my own baking.
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta" , unrelated...

Postby ScottD » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:47 am

Sara's Secrets yesterday featured a muffalata, which she attributed to the "Century" [sic] Grocery. She also made a very odd comment that led me to believe that she'd never actually tried one of these,,, but she may have just meant she'd never tried one from there. Of course, she'd have known it wasn't Century if she'd been there, I guess. She's really kind of an odd duck.
ScottD
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:48 pm

Re: "Muffaletta" , unrelated...

Postby ChefCarey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:09 pm

ScottD wrote:Sara's Secrets yesterday featured a muffalata, which she attributed to the "Century" [sic] Grocery. She also made a very odd comment that led me to believe that she'd never actually tried one of these,,, but she may have just meant she'd never tried one from there. Of course, she'd have known it wasn't Century if she'd been there, I guess. She's really kind of an odd duck.


With an apparently sloppy research staff.
ChefCarey
 

Re: "Muffaletta"

Postby ChefCarey » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Paul, I made the same comparison. So in my complaint to the paper, I noted that "the ingredients list was 100% exact and the instructions about 95% or so. So though not 100%, the few words that were changed leave no doubt about both the original authorship and the real deserving party for credit." And I used the 'p' word, too.


Despite the fact that several folks here contacted the newspaper - as did I and my agent, not a peep out of them.
ChefCarey
 


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests