The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tasting note request:1999 Bois de Boursan Cndp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Tasting note request:1999 Bois de Boursan Cndp

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:50 pm

I am eyeballing some 1999 Bois de Boursan (regular bottle) CndP at my local BAWS. price is $30 per and that seems to me to be a fair price for the vintage. Haven't had a lot of 99 CndP so am wondering what the Rhoneheads hear might think of both the wine and the price. TIA.

Clarification: BAWS=Big Ass Wine Store
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Tasting note request

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:1999 Bois de Boursan (regular bottle) CndP

Very nice small family winery that makes wine in the old-fashioned way, Bob. It is (or was) a Dressner import in his region, although someone else (Vintner Select?) carries it in Kentucky of course. Versino, the producer, is a really interesting guy, who makes one special oaked cuvee, Cuvee Felix, that he quite brashly calls his "Parker Cuvee," adding that he hates it himself.

His regular bottlings are non-Parkerized, of course - I've got some '99 here that I brought home from the winery - but I'd say there's a good chance that it's closed up tight as a tick right now.

Questions: If you're prepared to buy it and hold it, it sounds like a good buy. But given what we know about your source, are you comfortable that it hasn't been cooked?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:59 pm

Oh, Bob ... I know you know this, but a reminder is always worth-while: "Tasting Note Request: Bois de Boursan 1999" would be a much more effective subject than your generic query. It would be nice to assume that everybody is going to open your post just to see what you're asking about, but I'm afraid it just doesn't work that way.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Are you saying that my name on the post is not enough to draw everybody in to open, read and reply? I can't believe it. :-) I will go edit.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Are you saying that my name on the post is not enough to draw everybody in to open, read and reply? I can't believe it. :-) I will go edit.

All your buddies will look, Bob, and that's a cast of thousands. :-D

But you want to maximize your chances, right?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am

Bob, I open every one of your post I see. It takes no more for me.
Funny thing, I was thinking of taking the 99 Bois de Boursan regular cuvee to NiagaraCool this weekend, so checked my old notes. I don't keep exhaustive notes, but see that in June of 04, this was singing, plum, mushroom, spice, dark color, ripe tannins. I remember drinking it at a tailgate party in the fall of '04 and it was great, though a bit too chilled. As was I. In April '05 I noted it was a bit on the simple side, and perhaps a bit closed, though most 99s have not closed down - eg. Pegau. I also posted a note in my book that Kahle's group rated this wine 92+ at some time.
The price is pretty reasonable. Mine was about 25 or 26 when it was first offered. Why not. Buy it. I'll open a bottle at NiagaraCOOL, and I'll let Robin let you know if it is ready.
-w
-OW
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:34 am

We first got this wine in our market in Oregon with the 1998 vintage. Since then I feel that every year since it has been one of the best values in the category. I had a '99 about a month ago and it showed more depth and concentration than most '99s. Here it does come through Dressner Imports.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:46 am

If Bob's name is on the label, I'm buying it. How many points did he gove it?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:02 pm

OW, I appreciate the willingnes of your that you would sacriface a bottle of yours just to give me a tasting note. I think I will get at least a couple of them then dpeending on what you find when ou open one this weekend at NiagraCool, I might get enough to make up a 6 pack. Thanks you.

Ps, I appreciate your loyalty to my posted notes too! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:03 pm

That is Bob "P" right? P for Parsons right?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Tasting note request:1999 Bois de Boursan Cndp

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:19 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I am eyeballing some 1999 Bois de Boursan (regular bottle) CndP at my local BAWS. price is $30 per and that seems to me to be a fair price for the vintage. Haven't had a lot of 99 CndP so am wondering what the Rhoneheads hear might think of both the wine and the price. TIA.

Clarification: BAWS=Big Ass Wine Store

As Robin says, very traditional straightforward CNdP. I've tasted it three times since '03 and liked it each time. It was retailing in my area for about $30, too. Like most '99s, it'll benefit from some age, but I'd expect that it's already drinking nicely.

Robin: Are you sure that the importer in your area for this wine isn't J et R Selections? They bring it into our state, I know.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Robin: Are you sure that the importer in your area for this wine isn't J et R Selections? They bring it into our state, I know.

Good catch, Mark! J et R it is. My bad for going from memory.

J et R is just about as tiny an importer as Dressner, by the way ... I wonder if Bois de Boursan has any other U.S. representation. If not, those of us who can get it are rarely blessed.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:J et R is just about as tiny an importer as Dressner, by the way ... I wonder if Bois de Boursan has any other U.S. representation. If not, those of us who can get it are rarely blessed.

Yeah, JC Mathes is one of my heroes and one of about 5 importers whose selections I implicitly trust (Mr. Dressner and that Kermit guy being two others). I'd bet that there are other importers for Bois de Boursan, as J et R only serves about 20 states, mostly in the Midwest.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:23 pm

Mark, as far as I know the importer is J et R and Gary Kahle is the rep that serves Kentucky.
Bob Henrick