NEWS: Corn off the cob

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

NEWS: Corn off the cob

Postby Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:04 pm

A tidbit in this morning's New York times brightened my day, not to mention the scabbed callous on the underside of my right index finger which resulted from the labor required to cut the kernels off ten ears of corn with a standard chef's knife last Sunday:

It looks like a tiny Venetian carnival mask with a winsome smile, but the new stainless steel corn zipper, made by Kuhn Rikon, is an effective gadget for summer cooking. Knives can cut into the cob even when used by the steadiest hand, but the corn zipper's little teeth precisely separate the kernels from the cob so that they drop into a bowl. The corn zipper is around $11.95 at Broadway Panhandler, Gracious Home and at Art of Cooking.

Gonna order me one right away!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: NEWS: Corn off the cob

Postby Hoke » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Ah, memories.

You brought back some mouth-watering remembrances of the pure, sweet taste of fresh corn stripped off the cob, Jenise. One of the essential sense memories of my childhood, still quite viid and focused and intense tastes in my jaded old brain.
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality

Re: NEWS: Corn off the cob

Postby Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:53 pm

Hoke, being an old southern boy, did your Mom fry corn off the cob in bacon fat?
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Wine guru

Return to The Forum Kitchen