The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Isole e Olena CC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2001 Isole e Olena CC

by Jenise » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:10 pm

2001 Isole e Olena Chianti Classico
Tuscany

This wine came up recently in conversation here--apparently there were some bad lots of 2001s from this producer. Well, I'm happy to report that my bottle was fine: a bit lighter than I expected for the both CC and the vintage (or I don't understand IO's house style, which is true) with some green notes, but it was nonetheless a traditionally styled Chianti of some finesse that worked well with our dinner of ravioli in marinara sauce.
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2001 Isole y Olena CC

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:16 pm

I've seen this around and have been tempted to purchase but just havent. It's always good to find a nice red sauce wine. thanks!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:10 pm

Bill--I sure am not expressing myself very clearly today. I meant to give the impression that the wine was okay with the ravioli, but a little lighter for that duty than I'd have liked (where for me Chianti usually shines). Now why didn't I just come out and say that? :roll:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:07 pm

Now why didn't I just come out and say that?

Ahhh, now I get it! :D Thanks for the clarification.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:27 pm

I meant to give the impression that the wine was okay with the ravioli, but a little lighter for that duty than I'd have liked (where for me Chianti usually shines).

Jenise,
This is one of my favorite producers. They did a very bad job in '02 but so did most people. I am surprised the '01 is that light. I have not opened any '01 because this is an age worthy vintage. I drink '98, '00, '99 '01 in that order. Haven't had the '01 IeO yet so certainly am not arguing with your assesment, just a little surprised.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:38 am

I've usually found the Isole CC to be lighter than say Fontodi or Felsina (my go-to producers). If pressed I would say that I could very well survive on Felsina alone for CC.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:50 pm

There is still considerable variation between the communes of Chianti Classico, and Isole is in Barberino, which is typically relatively light and fresh and sour-cherryish, in contrast to, say, the plummy/velvety quality of Panzano/Greve or the bigger wines of Castelnuovo Berardenga. (The producers that are using Bordeaux varieties tend to show much less variation, obviously, which is one of the reasons why I avoid such wines.)

That said, I haven't been wowed by the recent vintages of Isole CC, although I have a lot of respect for the proprietor and love the Ceparello.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 pm

David, Walter and Oliver, thanks for the input. Sounds like the house style is on the lighter side--always so helpful to know. I've only had one other IeO, which was someone else's better and I don't recall which of their wines it was except that it was heavier than this. I'm certainly not complaining--I *did* enjoy the wine and in fact I'm craving lighter wines these days. I just wouldn't have paired it with this dish vs. something a little more robust and rustic.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Jenise,

Might have you been expecting a "Riserva"?

Tonight I am having a very odd 02 CC Riserva Ducale Ruffino. Way too much tar and leather for my taste, with no herbal/spice/tea notes that usually makes me do cartwheels. This wine is reminding me of some of the few Bordeauxs I have had recently - very odd.

I don't think I have had the IO Chianti Classico yet - may need to try it.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:12 pm

Was that the Oro bottling, Paulo?
I usually like that wine but remember that '02 was pretty ugly in Tuscany...and in Piedmont....and southern France.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Was that the Oro bottling, Paulo?
I usually like that wine but remember that '02 was pretty ugly in Tuscany...and in Piedmont....and southern France.

Nah.... the Riserva Ducale. It tastes like left over espresso coffee grind. Must be the vintage. I was in central Italy in August of 2002 and it rained and stormed constantly - very humid and muggy. :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Paulo, no, wasn't expecting a Riserva at all. Just, say, 20% more robustness than I found to be at the level of what I think is a typical Chianti in a really good year.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Paulo, no, wasn't expecting a Riserva at all. Just, say, 20% more robustness than I found to be at the level of what I think is a typical Chianti in a really good year.

Wow - now I am curious. I am about to step out to buy wines for this weekend and will look for this chianti. I should bring a sangiovese wine to this gathering any way! ;-)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Paulo, no, wasn't expecting a Riserva at all. Just, say, 20% more robustness than I found to be at the level of what I think is a typical Chianti in a really good year.

You know, I just checked my Vino Italiano buying guide (which I use as a starting point) and they say this chianti shows the "pinot noir-ish side of sangiovese", so, it makes sense what you are saying, which makes me want to taste it!!!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:35 pm

shows the "pinot noir-ish side of sangiovese"

Great way to put it. And it was good, and it was young yet (as Walt says). It's only flaw was not being quite what I expected/wanted for that dish.