The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Grivot Vosne Romanee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

WTN: 2000 Grivot Vosne Romanee

by Paulo in Philly » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Had this wine last night at a nice BYOB Mediterranean restaurant on 22nd and Arch called "Aya's Cafe' (http://www.ayascafe.net). I had tomato bruschetta with a grilled salmon over couscous and grilled vegetables. YUM.

Since this was the first time going to this restaurant, I had no idea they did not have decent size wine glasses - I hate the little iddy-biddy ones where my nose barely fits (and I don't have a big nose!) - so I was irritated at first. Note to self - must bring own wine glasses to this restaurant next time!!!

Wine was closed at first - not much happening. The wine looked a little unusually brick red. I am inexperienced with Burgundies, so, I kept an open mind before screaming in horror. After much swirling and contact with air a perfurmed and slightly peppery dark cherry/raspberry earthy aroma began to emerge, becoming more and more elegant and voluptuous as dinner progressed - maybe it was the garlic from my bruschetta that helped? The wine needed food, which is my favorite way of enjoying wine any way! There is no doubt that I could probably live in Burgundy for the rest of my wine life. The fatty grilled salmon went beautifully with this delicious wine. I look forward to my next Burgundy adventure.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: Vosne Romanee 2000 Grivot

by Dan Donahue » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:31 am

Paulo--good to see a note on another '00 drinking well. I'm big believer in decanting Burgs. For me, even an '00 village would get an hour in a decanter before dinner. The wine would continue to evolve nicely through a leisurely meal.

And probably sing as well as you by the cheese course. Congrats on the Durufle: a Burgundy piece if I ever heard one; thought provoking rather than hedonistic.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Vosne Romanee 2000 Grivot

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Dan Donahue wrote:Paulo--good to see a note on another '00 drinking well. I'm big believer in decanting Burgs. For me, even an '00 village would get an hour in a decanter before dinner. The wine would continue to evolve nicely through a leisurely meal.

And probably sing as well as you by the cheese course. Congrats on the Durufle: a Burgundy piece if I ever heard one; thought provoking rather than hedonistic.

Sounds like decanting it for an hour would have been wise, Dan!

The Durufle's chords are just to die for, especially at the very end!