Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My Bread News

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

My Bread News

by Larry Greenly » Thu May 04, 2006 5:32 pm

I recently traded for some Tennessee sourdough starter and made some sourdough waffles last Sunday. Yum. That makes about six different starters I have.

Today, I bought some Montina Pure Baking Supplement, which is a gluten-free flour made from Indian Rice Grass (the state grass of Utah). It's high in fiber and protein. I'll give you a report when I use some in my next breadmaking effort.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: My Bread News

by Jenise » Sat May 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Larry, we had sourdough pancakes a few weekends ago made from a starter that it's owner has had going since 1957. She got it from another military wife in Libya, and this starter has travelled wherever the Air Force sent them since and she remains "under orders" to make sourdough pancakes every single Sunday. She's 85. Amazing history some of those starters can have.

It must be a lot of work keeping all those starters alive.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat May 06, 2006 11:46 pm

It must be a lot of work keeping all those starters alive.

Not really. All I have to do is feed them once in a while. And all it takes, really, is just one live yeast cell.

Concerning the Libyan starter: is it from Libya or was it taken there from somewhere else?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 07, 2006 12:57 pm

It wasn't Libyan in origin, just one that was given her by someone who brought it with them from the U.S. I might have my stories mixed up, but the giver of it might have been the original Heloise (of newspaper column fame) who was a military wife. Heloise gave Stella either that starter or her pot roast recipe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 08, 2006 9:24 am

John D. Zuccarino wrote:Hello Larry and Jenise,

One horrible bread story. This bread company in Rochester I think made bread for generations from the same starter over one hundred and fifty years. Then the owners at the time went on vacation and the person who was supposed to take care of the yeast did not and all the yeast died. Bottom line, the bread was dead, it never tasted the same again. :shock:

Similar story: aggrieved employee tosses all the firm's starter into the alley. But the owners were able to recover a little bit to start over.

Another possibly apocryphal story: My "Red Ryder" sourdough starter was given to me by the actor. He originally got it years ago from someone who was a prospector in the Klondike in the 1890s. The prospector's mule, which was carrying the sourdough starter, slipped off the trail and was killed.

It took some time to get down to the dead mule and all that was left of the starter was a smear on its cheek. The prospector reconstituted the starter from that.

It's a great story, whether it's true or not.