Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

It's Braising again...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

It's Braising again...

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 am

(Apologies to Supertramp)

Once again I was messing around with whatever was in the house. I had picked up some more of those "country ribs" of pork, and wanted to braise them as it was quite cold outside, so a warming meal was called for.

So I seasoned the pork (just salt, pepper and a little garlic), seared it, and then added in 1 chopped large onion, 3 medium sprigs of rosemary (just the leaves, roughly chopped), 4 cloves of garlic (all that was left in the house), about 2/3 cup of chicken broth and a 1/2 cup of red wine (the La Prade in my tasting note on the wine board) along with a little more salt and pepper.

I covered the dish and threw the thing in the oven at 300 for about 90 minutes. Mmm...mmm good. Tender, well flavored, and the onions were just yummy. The chicken broth and hte wine combined to make a fairly rich sauce/broth. Good stuff.

I am really going to hate summer this year, as I am really getting into this braising thing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: It's Braising again...

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:40 am

I am really going to hate summer this year, as I am really getting into this braising thing

Even in the quietest moments of the summer, it wouldnt be the crime of the century to do a little braising :shock:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Too hot when you have no air conditioning.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 pm

You wanna try that braising thing and make a summer dish of it? In the morning, do the pork jas as you described in this dish. Remove the meat from the juices and shred it into chunks with a fork. Come dinner time, heat it up in the old nuker and fill soft corn tortillas with it. Add a some green chile salsa and fresh onions and cilantro, and/or some thinly sliced cabbage dressed with salt, oil and vinegar, and you've got Carnitas! A braised dinner, but perfect for the hottest summer day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:(Apologies to Supertramp)
I covered the dish and threw the thing in the oven at 300 for about 90 minutes. Mmm...mmm good. Tender, well flavored, and the onions were just yummy. The chicken broth and hte wine combined to make a fairly rich sauce/broth. Good stuff.

Can I come to your house for dinner? :) That sounds super, David!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:46 pm

I am really going to hate summer this year, as I am really getting into this braising thing.

Hmmmm, makes me wonder if I can braise in the Kamado when it gets here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:04 am

Jenise wrote:You wanna try that braising thing and make a summer dish of it? In the morning, do the pork jas as you described in this dish. Remove the meat from the juices and shred it into chunks with a fork. Come dinner time, heat it up in the old nuker and fill soft corn tortillas with it. Add a some green chile salsa and fresh onions and cilantro, and/or some thinly sliced cabbage dressed with salt, oil and vinegar, and you've got Carnitas! A braised dinner, but perfect for the hottest summer day.

Sounds delicious! I love Carnitas.