Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anybody else like quick-breads?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Does anybody else like quick-breads?

by Howard » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:01 pm

My new kitchen is mostly done (as is the new house) and my first meal in the new kitchen was Jenise's meat loaf served over steamed zucchini/yellow squash/leeks/fennel. Mmmmmm. Drank my last bottle of 2004 Clos Roilette Beaujoulais. I didn't have enough time to bake yeast bread so for a starch I made some whole wheat-molasses and cornmeal quick bread: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/dining/281mrex.html .

This was really good although next time I'll cut the salt in half. Very easy, very satisfying and somewhat unusual for us. But it went over well and seemed to go well with the meatloaf.
Howard
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

Re: Does anybody else like quick-breads?

by Martha Mc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Congratulations on the new house and kitchen, Howard. What a great homey meal to have for the first night. I do like quick breads, but rarely bake them for some reason. Probably because the baking time is a bit too long for week-night dinners after work. Come the weekend, I enjoy the really slow prep-time of yeast breads. Quick breads often have a tang to them from the baking powder/baking soda that is especially nice with beef stew or other thick rich sometimes fatty dishes.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:31 pm

We love them and always have them around. Especially ones with apples, zucchini, cranberries, etc. They freeze great, so easy to have available when company comes or to give to a neighbor. Cranberry orange and banana nut in my freezer now! Just finished an apple cinnamon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Love them, too. Most are what I'd rather eat then most desserts. Only vaguely sweet....

But hey, what's important here is that you're moved into your new house. Congratulations! Tell us again what you chose for your kitchen.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:12 am

Quick breads often have a tang to them from the baking powder/baking soda that is especially nice with beef stew or other thick rich sometimes fatty dishes.

Hi Martha,

I'm learning about when to use baking powder vs baking soda. Since this one had its acid included (yogurt) it didn't need the baking powder. But the bread went really well with the meatloaf as you say. I think, though, that the sodium in the baking soda was enough and I really didn't need all the salt that the recipe called for.

Howard
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:14 am

Karen,
Sandy (spousal unit) makes a killer banana bread with chocolate chips that we usually have lying around in the freezer for treats now and then. Care to share the cranberry orange recipe?

Thanks
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:27 am

But hey, what's important here is that you're moved into your new house. Congratulations! Tell us again what you chose for your kitchen.

Thanks Jenise. The house and kitchen are mostly done. Finishing touches like the tile backsplash and other details (like my wine closet in the basement) are still being worked on. The kitchen is fun to cook in and really easy to clean up although I haven't really put it through its paces yet (the cooktop arrived 3 days ago.) We went with a Wolf cooktop with the grill attachment (there's a monster exhaust hood but still pretty quiet) a 30 inch and a 36 inch Dacor oven, Sub-zero freezer/fridge. I went back and forth over the Wok burner but decided against. We got a Miele dishwasher - very efficient and very quiet. I love my sink, it's a great big porcelain farm sink - big enough for the pots and I got a goofy looking pot friendly faucet. Also, for the first time in my life I have a prep sink/counter in addition to the main sink. There's a warming drawer for the plates and a small u-line undercounter refrigerator for whatever. Sandy signed me up to cook for 14 for a charity function in May so I've got to get used to this pretty quickly. Let me know when you want to come over and play!
Howard