Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Truffling Development

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

A Truffling Development

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 am

For the first time, black truffles successfully cultivated in North America!

See http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/dining/28truf.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=7d2a3cbe6cfb207a&ex=1173416400&emc=eta1

In Chuckey Tenn. (how long before we get the frst jokes about that?)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: A Truffling Development

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am

I read the article yesterday. Great ! I am glad that there are people with passion, imagination, persistence to accomplish such feats. Will still wait for the price to come down.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:11 am

Wow Christina - you must have been waiting for my post to respond with blinding speed!

Yes, that's always the problem. Take a product produced with low overhead (basically a secretive Frenchman and his canine or porcine companion) and translate it into a high cost area in terms of land, labour etc., and it is going to be hard to compete in terms of price.

Might get those swashbuckling French truffle vendors to moderate their price increases a bit though!
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:06 pm

I thought it interesting that NC was looking into this as an alternative cash crop for small farmers. In much of Appalachia (especially WV, KY and NC) small farmers used to survive off their tobacco base and have been devestated by the various attempts to reduce/prevent tobacco use. This could also be an interesting "backyard" crop akin to ginseng. H-m-m-m I wonder if I could plant a few trees in my "lower two...." :?: I could use a buffer against another stock fall.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

Ah yes - rural Appalachia where you can grow cash crops under ground and breakfast is eggs and bacon - from the pigs that failed the final exam at truffle school.....ImageImageImage
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:07 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Ah yes - rural Appalachia where you can grow cash crops under ground and breakfast is eggs and bacon - from the pigs that failed the final exam at truffle school.....ImageImageImage

Yeah, but if the pigs had passed a few pop quizzes -- imagine how good they might taste! Besides, growing truffles beats growing the other cash crop popular around here -- it's not not an arrestable offense. (And they couldn't spot it from a helicopter) :wink: