Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Caul Fat - a question for Chef Joseph

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Caul Fat - a question for Chef Joseph

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Chef, I have been actively trying to find caul fat in my local market. I have even contacted 2 different slaughter facilities, and to no luck at all. My question is do you use caul fat, and if so where do you get it? Thanks a lot.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Caul Fat - a question for Chef Joseph

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:23 pm

Bob,

When I was in a pate making phase a few years ago I scored caul fat from the meat processing market that cut the pig I bought from a local farmer. Sad to say they had no idea what I was talking about - they referred to it as the " lace ". I had to spend a lot of time washing it - it was quite gray but with copious washings became quite white and lace like. Got it for free.

The local German butcher was also able to get some for me but again, even though he makes a variety of sausages, could not imagine what anyone would do with it. He charged but it was next to nothing.

Other than pate, I made a Guiliano Bugialli recipe wrapping pieces of liver, dredged in seasonings, in the caul fat and gently sauteing till the fat melted away totally - probably the most rich liver dish I've ever eaten. A fabulous appetizer but way too rich for an entree.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks for the report Christina. I want the caul fat for cooking low fat, tough cuts of meat on my grill. in particular I am speaking of a brisket, or tri-tips, or hanger steak. I am thinking that if I wrap the low fat cut in caul, it will baste the meat as it grills, giving moisture and flavor. I intend to keep looking until I can find it. Wanna see my grill? click the link, it is even the same color as mine.

http://www.kamado.com/
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 pm

Bob, folks usually say that "good butchers" can supply it, but I haven't had much luck locally.

Neiman Ranch sometimes supplies it by mail order in two and a half pound brick[s for $20. Freezing doesn't hurt it at all.

Chow Hound has a recent thread saying that Ottomanelli in NYC has it now, although I don't see it on their online store tonight. The folks at Ottomanelli are really nice and I'm sure they would reply to an email request.

Hard to find, though, in my experience. Good luck.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:15 am

Bob - if you have a wholesale meat company or full service restaurant supply house in your town, they will very likely have a source.
These kinds of businesses can be a great resource for items that are hard to find in the standard retail outlets. They often sell to the general public via a "will call" window or some such arrangement. Give it a try.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:28 am

Bob, I know I've seen caul fat around Louisville on occasion. Try Creation Gardens, a neat little restaurant supply house that also sells to the general public. It's the only reliable place in town to get fresh foie gras by the lobe and a number of other excellent meat-related items, and I'd be surprised if they don't have caul fat (or at least can get it on order).

Burger's Market on Cherokee Road, which has its own butcher shop and carries quite a few specialty items like duck breast, pheasant, guinea fowl, etc., might also be worth a try.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks Bob. I have looked at the Neiman Ranch web page, and they are currently out of Caul Fat. Wild Oats sells their beef, so I will look there. I did call Wild Oats and the meat shop guy I talked to didn't even know what it is, so I sort of marked them off my list of possibles. I will go to their store in person and take a picture of what I am look for, that may help. Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:10 am

Hi John, We do have a full service meat retail outlet in Lexington, and I have spoken with the butcher. He says he can special order it, but has to get a 30 pound box, and I don't need that much. I might check out a restaurant and see if one will sell me a few pounds. Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:48 am

Bob,

It must be THRILLING to cook in that thing !
I have no feel for how it cooks but I would be worried about flare-ups from the fat of the caul and smoke. [ I mistakenly tried to rotisserate a duck in my oven rotisserie and ended up having to get a cleaning crew in to wash the smoke from the ceiling ]. Was the caul wrap a recommended technique ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm

Damn, there sure are a lot of "Chefs" here. :)

Any butcher *should* be able to get caul fat from his purveyors. Whether or not he wants to fool with it is another matter entirely.

I only use it a couple of times per year, but had no trouble getting it - even in Memphis. I used to get it from the same guy who provided me with real sausage casing. Unforunately he incinerated himself lighting a barbecue with gasoline.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Bob,
It must be THRILLING to cook in that thing !
I have no feel for how it cooks but I would be worried about flare-ups from the fat of the caul and smoke. [ I mistakenly tried to rotisserate a duck in my oven rotisserie and ended up having to get a cleaning crew in to wash the smoke from the ceiling ]. Was the caul wrap a recommended technique ?

Christina, first it cooks great..in fact everything tastes better from a K than from any other grill, or oven. There is no reason to worry about flareups using the Kamado grill. First, you cook with the top down, (If you are looking, you Ain't cooking) There is a reason for concern for what is known as a blow back. It happens when the coals are being starved for oxygen, and somebody opens the lid of the grill. The sudden supply of air, will cause the coals to explode with flame and it can and will scorch the hair off your head. Cure is to open the lid very carefully when you have to, iin that kind of situation. . wish I could demonstrate it for you.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Damn, there sure are a lot of "Chefs" here. :)

Any butcher *should* be able to get caul fat from his purveyors. Whether or not he wants to fool with it is another matter entirely.

I only use it a couple of times per year, but had no trouble getting it - even in Memphis. I used to get it from the same guy who provided me with real sausage casing. Unforunately he incinerated himself lighting a barbecue with gasoline.

Chef, I have searched far and wide locally to no avail. We must have really dumb butchers in Kentucky. I have some other leads and will follow up on them though. Now about gasoline on a grill fire, that fool got his just desserts for doing so stupid.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm

You might try a good oriental market.
I believe that what we call caul fat is actually the omentum of the animal.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:39 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:You might try a good oriental market.
I believe that what we call caul fat is actually the omentum of the animal.

Hi Eric, I suspect that medically speaking you are probably correct, but I have not heard this name applied to the netlike fat covering the stomach and intestines of a swine or sheep. I am not sure though that caul fat is in fact an organ, but could well be. I have looked in my largest local oriental market, and again struck out. Any chance we will see you back at Mo'Cool in 2007?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Any chance we will see you back at Mo'Cool in 2007?

Possibly. Any news on dates and a theme?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:15 am

Eric Ifune wrote:
Any chance we will see you back at Mo'Cool in 2007?

Possibly. Any news on dates and a theme?

No news yet Eric, but it is a little early. I would think that we might begin to hear rumblings around April sometime. I suspect too that right here will be where we see the first news.
Bob Henrick