Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Parmesan Black Pepper Biscotti (savory!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Parmesan Black Pepper Biscotti (savory!)

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm

I found this recipe on Epicurious.com and am making a batch this afternoon for a Barbaresco tasting I'm helping with tonight. Oh my god, are they good! In making them I've found I like more black pepper and some sour cream in place of all milk, and this recipe reflects my preferences, but otherwise this recipe is pretty much as found.

2 tblsp coarsely ground black peppercorns
4 cups all purpose flour plus additional for dusting
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (unaged American will NOT do!)
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Makes five-six dozen cookies. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, 2 cups of the cheese and the black pepper in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk three eggs with the milk and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quarter the dough. Using well floured hands, form each piece into a 12 inch long log even from end to end. Transfer the logs to 2 ungreased large baking sheets and space them about three inches apart.

Whisk remaining egg with a teaspoon of water, then brush each log with the mixture. Then sprinkle each with a little more black pepper and the reserved cheese. Bake, rotating sheets 180 degrees and switching shelf position halfway through baking, 30 minutes total. Cool logs on a rack for about 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 300 F.

Carefully transfer logs to cutting board and cut diagonnaly into 1/2 inch thick slices with a serrated knife. Return slices to baking sheets and bake as above, about 30 minutes or a little longer until barely golden total, rotating/switching sheets halfway through baking.

Will keep in an airtight container about two weeks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Parmesan Black Pepper Biscotti (savory!)

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:30 pm

These sound like they'd go great with the Barbaresco. Was that the case?

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Parmesan Black Pepper Biscotti (savory!)

by Jenise » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Mike, I have to say, the group brought great food last night and my biskies were in excellent company, but if you were to choose just TWO foods to show the wine best, these and raw cherry tomatoes were all you really needed. The tomatoes kind of cancelled out the acidity in the wine to where you could taste everything else, and the biscuits were a perfect palate cleanser. I figured I'd end up bringing half of them home, but in fact they cleaned the platter and I had half a dozen requests for the recipe. That's perhaps the best measure of success right there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov