Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine matching for these 7 courses?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

Wine matching for these 7 courses?

by Ben Rotter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 pm

I'll be doing a dinner for wine geek friends next week. I have a number of more standard ideas for wine matches but I thought it might be interesting to hear what people here would recommend for the following dishes (particularly any unusual pairings):

Tobacco Smoked Scallop and Chicken Liver Paté Wonton
PX truffle glaze, porcini foam, tarragon purée

Scallop is pan seared, PX Sherry and truffle oil, porcini foam is extract of the mushrooms plus herbs and stock etc, tarragon/spinach/butter purée.

Apple soup
curried white chocolate foam

Or probly a root veg salad with strawberry vinegar. Soup would be winey apple flavour, some acidity, creamy foam of vanilla white choc with Garam Masala or similar spicing.

Fried John Dory
braised red cabbage, mustard sauce

Not battered but floured and shallow fried. Mustard sauce is butter based.

Chinese-Style Braised Pork Belly
apple purée, pickled fennel, caramel-soy sauce

Pork belly is the traditional soy sauce/ginger/stock/rice wine/hoisin/spring onion style braise. Fennel braised in vinegar. Wine braised apple purée.

Slow Cooked Rib Eye
date miso, melted leeks, Stilton-horseradish sauce

Leeks cooked in butter, cider and stock.

Cheese
whipped Brie & croutons, poached apple encased St Agur & mustard

Self explanatory.

Chocolate peanut semifreddo
peanut tuile, dark caramel ice cream, chocolate paint

Think upscale snickers with accompaniments I spose. Intense choc, salty peanut, creamy icecream. Paint is dark choc-Bergamot. Would anyone dare to match a wine with this, or just a coffee?

Cheers.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine matching for these 7 courses?

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:15 pm

Fantastic menu, Ben. Very creative.

I'd serve:

Champagne will be brilliant with the smoked scallop. Nothing else would do.

The apple soup and John Dory courses: apple says reisling, but I would reach for riesling with your John Dory/mustard/cabbage dish too. Maybe I'd go vouvray or even Gewurz, if you use the Garam Masala, with the apple soup and a spatlese level reisling with the Dory.

The pork belly: California pinot noir. I love pinot and soy and pinot and pork. Nebbiolo could work well too. I'd probably reach for a Brian Loring model at about 5-6 years old where some caramel flavors have developed.

Rib eye: Cabernet or Bordeaux for me with this one, presuming you'll be serving the beef rare. You have a lot of complexities going on but I wouldn't let that distract me from giving the beef what I think is it's best partner.

The whipped brie thing: late harvest Condreiu. Or maybe one of those interesting Krachers from Austria.

The semifreddo: here, I think brown. Toffee flavors from age or wood, like a madeira. A good contrast might be a muscat (like the reddish golden one Beaulieu used to make in California) or even an Italian vin santo, which rewards the presence of nuts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov