Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stove vs stove

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Stove vs stove

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:35 pm

So what do you think of JennAir, Thermador or Kitchenaid gas stoves?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Stove vs stove

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:58 pm

We like gas stovetops, and electric ovens.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:01 pm

We have Thermador, double electric convection ovens and a 4 burner gas cooktop. I'm more the grill/barbecue guy so my opinion isn't worth much but my wife seems to like the Thermador units.

IIRC, these replaced GE units that were in the house when we bought it.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:07 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:We like gas stovetops, and electric ovens.

This is what I lust after. I currently have a 25-year old electric stove and oven. The bottom burner on the oven has quit working, so I can't use the oven anymore. The cooktop burners are underperforming lately. This unit has served me well oh these many years, but it is time to move on.

I have my eye on a JennAir gas stovetop with electric oven. The devil is finding the time to get it installed.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:27 am

Paul, get thee over to State Street Discount. We got our whole cooking station from them. Delivery and installation are minimal.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:So what do you think of JennAir, Thermador or Kitchenaid gas stoves?

Larry,

I have a Jennair stovetop--no oven.

Unless they've made a change, the Jennair downdraft exhaust is poorly designed. It sucks too much of the flame and gives an uneven cooking surface. The fan area needs a pop-up shield of about 1.5 inches to prevent the flame sucking action.

I wish I had asked the question before I installed one, and when I called the company (which is Maytag) I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and must have installed it incorrectly.

Thanks for giving me the chance to get even with them and to let a consumer know. Then again, they may have fixed the problem by now, but I wouldn't know 'cause I would never look at a Jenair again, just for the way they handled my phone call.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 pm

Thomas wrote:Unless they've made a change, the Jennair downdraft exhaust is poorly designed. It sucks too much of the flame and gives an uneven cooking surface. The fan area needs a pop-up shield of about 1.5 inches to prevent the flame sucking action.

Too bad. I wonder if the downdraft was created for the electric units (which IIRC Jennair was exclusively at one time) and not changed for gas models? Until our remodel is complete, I'm cooking on a 25 year old Jennair electric with downdraft. It's totally impressive how well that exhaust works, but I can see where it could overwelm a gas flame.

Larry, re Thermador--I nixed them from my list of contenders because as good as the stove appears to be, on Simmer setting it goes click-click-click. I know people who own them who aren't bothered by that, but it would drive me NUTS.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Larry, re Thermador--I nixed them from my list of contenders because as good as the stove appears to be, on Simmer setting it goes click-click-click. I know people who own them who aren't bothered by that, but it would drive me NUTS.

Jenise, our Thermador cooktop makes that clicking noise but only when the burner is igniting. We will hear maybe 2 or 3 clicks then the flame erupts and that is the end of the clicking regardless of the heat setting. Your situation almost sounds like a repair needs to be made. It certainly would drive us nuts if that noise persisted beyond ignition.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:59 am

I've been perusing gas ranges lately wherever I go. I accidentally found a place that has several brands, and discovered a neato Kitchenaid that even has a steam injector (be still, my beating heart). The store's one of these places that doesn't show any prices, but I'm sure that model is way over budget. I'm going to research it, though.

Another Kitchenaid model even had a grate attachment that would hold a wok.

My cousin's also looking for a new range, so she's also doing some research. She says her contact in an appliance store says that manufacturers consider anyone who uses their oven every day is considered "commercial" and, if they found out, would not honor their warranty. News to me. What do you know?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:29 am

Larry Greenly wrote:
My cousin's also looking for a new range, so she's also doing some research. She says her contact in an appliance store says that manufacturers consider anyone who uses their oven every day is considered "commercial" and, if they found out, would not honor their warranty. News to me. What do you know?

I've spent a lot of time over the last three or four years researching appliances for our mythical kitchen remodel, and I've never heard of such a thing.

AFAIK, there are no use constraints on any of the warranties for ranges, ovens, or cooktops.

EDIT: BTW, don't know why I didn't think of this before, but some friends of ours who cook a lot have a Bosch that they bought a couple of years ago. They're very happy with it and the price was not too terrible.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 am

Bosch is on my list. I ran across them in a builder's supply store.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:33 pm

Larry,

I have a Kitchenaid gas stovetop and I think it's really great. It was here in the house when we moved in 5 yrs ago, but they had put it in right before we moved in. Nothing too fancy, just 4 burners...but it's easy to clean and knock on wood hasn't given me any trouble. I don't have much to compare it too...this is my first house...I was living in crappy apartments before this with really old electric stoves...LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin