Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

If you're in my line, you're in the wrong line

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

If you're in my line, you're in the wrong line

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Can you believe it? It's snowing again in Albuquerque as I write this.

Virtually 100% of the time, no matter which line I pick, the person in front of me suddenly screws up the system. "My check's out in the car. I don't have enough money. What do you mean, my credit card doesn't work, etc."

Yesterday, however, I was the cause and everything ground to a stop. As my purchases were rung up, the cashier asked me if I bought oil. Oil? We soon discovered that my bottle of liquid dishwasher detergent had leaked all over the conveyor belt and counter. Oops. Time to wipe up and get another bottle. Then my pen ran out of ink while writing my check. And then they had to find a box so I could carry my 10 bottles of wine.

So I've finally arrived. I screwed up a grocery line. Thank you. Thank you very much.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: If you're in my line, you're in the wrong line

by Peter May » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:05 am

Larry Greenly wrote: Then my pen ran out of ink while writing my check.

Pens and checks? How quaint :)

The few supermarkets here in UK that still accept cheques will take your cheque and print the details for you on the same machine that prints the till roll.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:50 am

Peter May wrote:Pens and checks? How quaint :)

Quaint indeed. I think I've written one or two checks in the last 6 months. The latest to my damn plumber who takes cash and checks only. What a neanderthal. :o
I hate getting in line behind the check writers....you ever notice how they seldom even start filling out check (Payee/date) until the order is completely rung up. Or worse yet have to fumble through their oversized purses and pockets to locate the checkbook.Oh, I have to pay??
Mini rant over.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00 am

Awww....poor Larry...sounds like you were having a bad time!

I usually cause problems in the grocery line with all my coupons. I always feel bad for everyone behind me :oops: . But I try and make up for it by bagging myself and paying quickly.

Although I do agree.. "CHECKS?" Larry, Larry...you need to get some plastic!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:27 am

Ahh, Maria, so YOU'RE the woman I was glaring at yesterday.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:41 am

Redwinger wrote:
Peter May wrote:Pens and checks? How quaint :)

I hate getting in line behind the check writers....you ever notice how they seldom even start filling out check (Payee/date) until the order is completely rung up. Or worse yet have to fumble through their oversized purses and pockets to locate the checkbook.Oh, I have to pay??
Mini rant over.
BP

You'll have no trouble behind me; the only thing I need to fill out is the amount when I reach the checker. I take no longer than to swipe a card.

And I have a wallet filled with plastic, but it's a very baaad habit to use it to buy everyday, mundane things like groceries.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:15 pm

I think people are talking about using their debit cards for groceries, not credit cards.

I used to exclusively use my debit card, but more and more I find myself using cash (for all purchases everywhere). My local grocery allows one to obtain the "frequent shopper discount" card anonymously. I am not a paranoid personality, but I really hate how all businesses want to build a marketing database with information we all freely give them.

Hmm. That may have been a mini-rant. 8)

Edited to add: waiting for them to finally plow the roads up here so I can get to work
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:20 pm

What's a check? Is that like a bank card?
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:12 am

Larry, now that you're screwing up like your own worst enemy, we'd better keep you away from tanto knives.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:15 am

I'm so last century. This is the first time some dadburned whippersnapper has called me quaint for not using a debit card. I'm absolutely not interested in using one, dagnab it! Think "float."

I don't use a cell phone, I don't have cable, I use dial-up, and I don't have various electrical gizmos like plasma tvs, palm pilots, Sirius radios, and blackberries or strawberries or similar doodads. Rise up quaint ones and join me! It's a revolution...er...reactionary time! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Quaint indeed. I think I've written one or two checks in the last 6 months. The latest to my damn plumber who takes cash and checks only. What a neanderthal.

Checks and cash. He can avoid reporting this as income and cheat on his taxes. Extremely common with small or self run companies.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:31 am

I've had five years of wedded bliss and my 40th anniversary is coming up in two weeks.

I've purchased a ruby (40th anniversary stone) and a gold ring setting that's being assembled for my favorite wife. I paid cash, got a 10% discount and didn't pay sales tax. I was given both copies of the receipt and was asked to fill in my name myself. Hmmm.

I plan on taking her out to the French restaurant where I play the piano, let her listen over a glass of vino until my gig is done. Then, we'll have dinner and I'll pop the ring on her. You can't go wrong buying jewelry for women.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 am

Larry Greenly wrote:....You can't go wrong buying jewelry for women.

Watch it Larry. I used the woerd "women" in a post under "Pizza on the House" and received some flak. :?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 am

Oops. I'll balance it. You can't go wrong buying jewelry for men. Or companion animals.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:09 pm

We were in JoAnn's the other day and wife and daughter were buying thread. Wife was going to pay for it all and get reimbursed by daughter. After ringing it all up with wife using discount card, daughter discovered that the tread she had picked up was not what it was supposed to be. So both of them headed back to the thread isle leaving me to smile at the other customers.

It gets worse because when they returned with the correct thread the checkout person had no idea who to cancel out both the previous purchase and the discount. The correct thread cost a dollor more than the one previously rung up. Finally, while I still smiled at the other customers, everyone decided just to cancel the first one and add the other one and damn the discount. We were two hours from home, and it took wife the whole time to fingure out how much daughter owed her. Fortunately I didn't hit anyone, human, cars or anything else.

Regarding plastic. Our bank like many others gives you "points" for using your debit card like a credit card. I haven't been able to fingure out or learn from the bank exactly what "points" can be used for or how manyyou need. Then when you get to the super market and swipe it, and they ask for your pin number, you have to tap on some esoteric term like "rejected" or "refused" or something like that. Maybe Larry has the right idea about being low tech.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:You can't go wrong buying jewelry for women.

Some women (oh, say, like me) are not interested in things like this. (But bring me books and I'll swoon.)

However, I suppose you might know the particular woman in question pretty well after 40 years!

Congratulations on your anniversary, Larry. That's an amazing accomplishment.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Regarding plastic. Our bank like many others gives you "points" for using your debit card like a credit card.

A number of stores here charge you extra for using a debit card. How convenient....
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:24 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:
Regarding plastic. Our bank like many others gives you "points" for using your debit card like a credit card. I haven't been able to fingure out or learn from the bank exactly what "points" can be used for or how manyyou need.

Sounds very much like the "points" I get for doing something around the house. I don't seem to be able to redeem them for anything and they often seem to have mysteriously vanished....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child