Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine pairing with pasta in cream sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Wine pairing with pasta in cream sauce

by Maria Samms » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm

I was going to make a pasta dish tomorrow night with a cream sauce. I will also have peas and either smoked salmon or prosciutto in it...and suggestions on a wine pairing? Thanks in advance!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Wine pairing with pasta in cream sauce

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:36 pm

Chardonnay, much as it pains me to type that word. This sort of dish just screams for something from Puligny or Chassagne, if you've got the sources and can take the pain of the price tag.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:59 pm

If you use the prosciutto, see if you can find a 2004 Carpineto "Dogojolo". Its a 80% sangiovese / 20% cabernet sauvignon blend that we've been having excellent luck pairing with cream and/or butterbased pasta sauces.

Richard
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Agree with Stuart, particularly if you happen to have a bottle of oaky Chardonnay that you want to get rid of laying around.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 pm

Agreed about chardonnay with cream and peas both: you can hit a home run with an Italian chardonnay like Aviognesi. A good Italian pinot blanc like the Vignalta from the Veneto would be great too; and I wouldn't turn my nose up at an Arneis or Soave.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 pm

I have made such a dish using warm smoked salmon flakes (rather than cold smoked lox or nova). It is very flexible with a variety of white wines. Alsace riesling is a good choice, as would be Chablis.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:I have made such a dish using warm smoked salmon flakes (rather than cold smoked lox or nova). It is very flexible with a variety of white wines. Alsace riesling is a good choice, as would be Chablis.

Thank you Bernard for what I know is the answer, since I've done it too, but I've done the Chardonnay thing also. My problem with those other Chardonnays is often the wood--overly wooded wine and food, yuck!

But Maria, if you want to stay Italian, try a big white like Falanghina or a thinner red like Lagrein.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:32 am

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions.

I made the pasta with the smoked salmon so I went with a Pouilly-Fuisse. I was pretty good.

I think that I would definitely try some of the Italian white suggestions with it next time. I have never had any Italian wine before...but I wrote all of your suggestions down. I make that dish quite often, so I am excited to try and pair it with the different wines.

RichardAtkinson wrote:If you use the prosciutto, see if you can find a 2004 Carpineto "Dogojolo". Its a 80% sangiovese / 20% cabernet sauvignon blend that we've been having excellent luck pairing with cream and/or butterbased pasta sauces.

Richard

Richard, when I make this dish with prosciutto, I will certainly try this wine. I am partial to red...and it sounds like a lovely match.

Thanks again everyone!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin