Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Could I have a little powdered vinegar on that?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Could I have a little powdered vinegar on that?

by Hoke » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:02 pm

Under the category of things you don't often think about, but perhaps should:

It seems that the rage these days with pro chefs is powdered vinegars. Their usage is more common than I had thought (not that I had thought much on them). An article in the current Restaurant News (a trade mag, so you won't see it on bookstands) relates that dusting with powdered vinegar has become quite the trendy thing.

Powdered vinegar is actually drying out vinegar and putting on maltodextrin to create crystals. You can then put in on or in different things. It's used as both a preservative and a flavoring ingredient.

Apparently it is commonly used to "flavor up" things like salads and such---mix a little powdered vinegar and some other things in with a little vegetable oil and spray it on a salad. Tasty, efficient, and cheap.

But it is also used on ice cream, and in pastries, powdered on pain d'epices, mixed in yogurt, made into ices, as a marinade, or on fish and chips, dusted on potatoes, used as sauce basing for fish, on fish tartare or poke, or in dry rubs for chicken and steak.

Further, you can have any variety of powdered fruit vinegars (apple, pear, etc.), balsamic, malt vinegar....and even one made from 10-year-old Banyuls!!!

Who knew? (well, out front anyway, apparently lots of people in the back of the house knew)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Could I have a little powdered vinegar on that?

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 pm

Somewhat related is the fact the "Salt 'N Vinegar" flavored potato chips contain no vinegar. The ingredients list malic acid. :roll:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 am

Hmm.

The thing that makes vinegar taste like vinegar is acetic acid, which is highly volatile. I suppose if you were to dry out real vinegar at room temperature, you'd get a crystalline residue that trapped enough residual acetic acid to be vinegary.

"Who knew?"

Who cares?

Sorry, but I don't see the point. If you want a dash of vinegar flavor, then sprinke on a dash of vinegar and be done with it. The evaporation, concentration, and crystallization process can only end up losing some of the more volatile and delicate flavor elements of the original vinegar.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Interesting. Didn't know about this. But I actually was thinking about this just a week or so ago when I bought a cup of cream of mushroom soup to go at a local restaurant. Sipping away alone on the long drive home, I was trying to put my finger on the source of the soup's unexpected sour flavor. It was vinegary, but it was more like the fake vinegar taste of flavored potato chips. which reminded me a bit of the fake sour taste of various potato chip flavoring. I couldn't fathom why the cook decided that this was a cool thing to add to mushroom soup--now I know. Because it's trendy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Paul, very often the salts of acetic acid, which are not volatile, are combined with a nonvolatile acid (like malic) to give the combination of acetic flavor and the proper acidity in the powder.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Paul, very often the salts of acetic acid, which are not volatile, are combined with a nonvolatile acid (like malic) to give the combination of acetic flavor and the proper acidity in the powder.

Sure, but why bother, when one can just add real vinegar and be done with it?

I still don't see the point.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:31 am

It depends on the product. Powdered can give that flavor/tang without sogging things.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Convenience, efficiency, compact storage, pre-prep. Hard to pour vinegar over a pastry. Difficult to make a solid or semi-solid from a liquid. Hard to do a dry rub with a wet vinegar.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:58 pm

I don't have the book here, but in Heat, he talked about powdered something being like gold...jog my memory, guys, what was it he had to sneak in with...

b
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Cocaine.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Welll....I'm not saying it WASN"T there, but I just Know I would have remembered if he was talking cocaine...not a big italian export, either, IIRC.

javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Cocaine.

I think that was Bourdain's book, wasn't it?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:59 pm

I dunno, I've tried to block that awful thing out of my mind. The book, that is.