To follow the onion theme, I tried this tonite after a friend made it for us on boxing day. Very tasty even if somewhat tricky to get the such huge onions to get properly boiled. My friend had an easier life ... she used onions of 80g each, mine were 300g+ each!
Anyway, here is the recipe ... also posted on my blog.
- 6 large onions (2 Kg)
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 30g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 XL eggs
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Oil, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs as needed
1. Remove the skin from the onions. Rinse them in cold water and boil them in salted water for about 1 hour (or until very soft). Drain them and let cool down.
2. Remove most of the inside of the onions. When an opening starts forming at the bottom, do not worry. Simply use some of the removed internal layers to close the gap.
3. Chop half of the removed onion and discard the rest. Mix it with the cheeses, nutmeg, the egg yolks, salt and pepper. Whip the eggs white to stiffen and fold them in gently.
4. Fill each empty onion with this batter. Dust the top with some breadcrumbs and oil. Bake on a greased baking tin in an hot oven at 180C for 40' for a suffle-like filling or 30' for a more creamy filling.
5. Let rest and serve at room temperature or sligthly warm.