Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sea food pasta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Sea food pasta

by Howard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Charlie (age 8 ) wanted pasta for dinner and I'm still thinking seafood after our week in Sanibel. So this was dinner last night: (serves 6 with leftovers)

Big pot of salted water
1 lb linguini

2 tbl butter
4 tbl flour
2 cups sea food stock (I bought one of those small containers at Whole foods and reconstituted it. Very good quality, I'll bring the name back when I think of it.) I suppose bottled clam juice would work too.
1/2 cup dry white wine.
S&P

1/2 lb shrimp - peeled and deveined (or not, does everybody devein shrimp?
1/2 lb mussels - cleaned
1/2 lb bay scallops
1 1/2 lbs halibut ( use any mild fish)
Fresh basil - 1 tablespoon
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1/2 lb peapods

Boil the salted water and cook the pasta to the al dente stage.

Pre heat the oven to 425

In a Dutch oven, make a roux with the butter and flour cook until the flour doesn't taste raw anymore (?2-3 minutes). Add the fish stock while stirring constantly and cook for about 5 minutes on low. Add the wine. Season with Salt and Pepper (go easy on the salt, the fish stock has it and the seafood will bring some too).

Add the seafood, mushrooms and peapods, basil, cover and put in the oven. Check at around 15 minutes to see if the mussels are open. If not, cover and cook another 5 minutes or so.

Serve over the pasta and sprinkle with a few chopped green onions.

This was very good but needed a little something. I'm not sure what... touch of nutmeg? maybe more basil?

Suggestions?
Last edited by Howard on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: Sea food pasta

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Howard,

A very nice recipe. I forget about making a roux and end up piling on the calories with cream.
Although taking the idea in a different direction I would have sauteed some shallots , garlic and diced fennel or a few fennel seeds. I almost can't cook without garlic !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 pm

A very nice recipe. I forget about making a roux and end up piling on the calories with cream.
Although taking the idea in a different direction I would have sauteed some shallots , garlic and diced fennel or a few fennel seeds. I almost can't cook without garlic !

I liked the roux specifically because it was only 2 tbl butter but makes a very rich tasting sauce.

I also start almost everything with onions and garlic saute but thought it might overwhelm the sauce. In retrospect I was wrong. I like the fennel idea very much. Thanks
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:10 pm

Great recipe/method. Wish I could make dishes like this (hubby's allergic to clams etc)! For extra flavor, think "court boullion": the addition of a bouquet garni and, like Christina suggested, a shallot, would probably fill out the background to make both the seafood and the basil taste more complex.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov