Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fresh Ramps!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

Fresh Ramps!

by Martha Mc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Good heavens, I saw someone on the side of the road selling ramps this Saturday! From what I could see driving by the ramps appeared to have just broken dormancy -- no green leaves, but an obvious pink/white active shoot growing from the bulb. This is at least 2-3 months early. It has been a very warm winter here in WV.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Fresh Ramps!

by Jenise » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 pm

What strange weather we're all having. So, did you buy? Are you 'ramping up' for IOTM??
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

Re: Fresh Ramps!

by Martha Mc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Jenise wrote:What strange weather we're all having. So, did you buy? Are you 'ramping up' for IOTM??

To be honest, though I have some growing in the "Back Forty," I rarely actually eat them. Occasionally I'll snip a bit of the tops to, say, to sprinkle on top of something like pizza or pasta or salad, etc. But, since all the rumors are true (about the "persistence" of the "aroma"), I don't partake of much more than that.