Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

January IOTM: Onions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

January IOTM: Onions

by Jenise » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes, onions. The little orb of hot/sweet that every grocery store has in three colors every day of the year, that our pantries are never without, that we hated as children, that we take completely and totally for granted. Fresh green onions, also called scallions, are included here, too.

Where did onions come from? No one is really sure, but possibly the African continent as early records indicate they were cultivated in ancient Egypt. And like all roads, onions eventually arrived in Rome and that's where they acquired the name we now know them by from the Latin word unio, which means large pearl.

There are many varieties which growers categorize according to three groups of daily sunlight needs: short day, medium day, and long day. Generally, the short day onions are the sweetest (Vidalia and Texas Sweet are short day onions) and the long day onions the most pungent, but there exceptions: Walla Walla Sweets grown here in my cool home state of Washington, for instance, are long day onions.

Are they good for you? Yes. One medium raw onion contains:

60 Calories
1 gram Protein
14 grams Carbohydrates
0 Fat
0 Cholesterol
10 mg Sodium
200 mg Potassium
11.9 mg Vitamin C (20% of USRDA)

As well, nutritionists claim that half a raw onion a day can boost HDL (the good cholesterol) as much as 30% a day. They may not improve your breath, but they will improve circulation, lower blood pressure, and prevent blood clotting.

And of course, all us good cooks use onions all the time to season our foods. But what about onions as a main course, like stuffed and baked? Or onions as a main ingredient, as in Paula Deen's watermelon, onion and mint salad. Or maybe, like me, you've lusted after those fried Indian dumplings called onion bajji's (that may not be the correct spelling) and have always dreamed of duplicating them at home. Surely there are as many onion recipes as there are onions in the world, and each of us has explored but a handfull.

It's time for that to change. Time for us to think outside the skin, as it were.

With thanks to Sue Courtney who suggested this topic, as usual use this thread to share some of the favorite ways in which you already feature onions in your repertoires. And if anyone has a recipe for bajji's, fork it over!
Last edited by Jenise on Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: January IOTM: Onions

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi Jenise,
Those names are unfamiliar to me and I didn't know about the length of day. Very interesting. I guess I'm used to simply referring to them by their colour - brown, red or white. I prefer the red onions for eating as they seem to be less flatulence inducing, but maybe I should look for sweet mild onions as well.

What about what I call spring onions? The long green ones. Scallions? Are these considered onions for this topic?

I've taken to cooking spring onions whole. Can be quite nice when cut to the same size and roasted with asparagus in a little olive oil, as long as they don't dry out as the outer skin can become quite papery.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Sue, thanks for the reminder. I meant to say green onions are included but I never did; I'll amend the post.

I love cooking them whole, too. Deep fried as tempera, or grilled and used as a garnish, love that. A favorite Mexican restaurant always serves one as the final element on every taco al carbon they serve, which really makes it look dressed for a special occasion.

Do you eat them raw? It was commonplace when I was a kid for cold green onions to be served raw any time meat, potatoes and gravy were served in combination, like a pot roast. Never been a fan myself, but I'm not sure my grandpa could have eaten his without.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Do you eat them raw? It was commonplace when I was a kid for cold green onions to be served raw any time meat, potatoes and gravy were served in combination, like a pot roast. Never been a fan myself, but I'm not sure my grandpa could have eaten his without.

Yes, often put them in salads. Red onions also go in salads. Love the Greek style salads with ripe red tomatoes, ripped leaves of basil, olives, Feta cheese and red onions.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:14 pm

Ah, I do that too, but without a dressing of some kind and something else on my fork to tame and sweeten the strong flavors, they're sharp and uninteresting to me. My grandpa would eat with a fork in one hand and an onion in the other. Probably pretty midwestern, that.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:45 pm

Jenise, with Chef and Bucko living in your area, you want to do onions as the IOTM? Isn't there enough gas in the NW already? :roll: (Okay, this joke is officially OLD!) :oops: :?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 am

Jenise wrote:Yes, onions. The little orb of hot/sweet that every grocery store has in three colors every day of the year, that our pantries are never without, that we hated as children, that we take completely and totally for granted. Fresh green onions, also called scallions, are included here, too.

Ramps and Leeks, too?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:34 am

Martha Mc wrote:Ramps and Leeks, too?

And shallots!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:12 am

Yes, ramps and leeks and shallots! My brain is entirely addled this week. Also, on the sub of shallots, our local Costco now sells 3 lb bags (I think it's 3, anyway) for around $6. After paying $4 a pound in local supermarkets for years and hence just buying 3 or 4 at a time, it's a joy to have a plentitude on hand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:14 am

James, Chef is closer to you than me--Memphis. But Bucko, yeah. And what's really cool about Bucko is those gases he emits at the top of Bush Mountain (I kid you not, this is where he lives) are constantly mistaken for eruptions from Mt. St. Helens. His little joke, as it were.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:10 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
What about what I call spring onions? The long green ones. Scallions?

Scallions are the American name for Spring Onions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 pm

Peter May wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:
What about what I call spring onions? The long green ones. Scallions?

Scallions are the American name for Spring Onions.

Actually, the most common American name for them is "green onions." Foodies will generally understand "scallions," but I have a sense that it's either regional or old-fashioned.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:51 pm

Jenise, Chef Joseph is almost a bonafide Portland resident and chef. I am sure you have by now seen his "it's official" post.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:48 am

Here's a link to a Bahji recipe: http://www.ivcooking.com/p269_105.php

I remember tasting my first green onions fresh out of a neighbor's garden when I was a kid. I've been hooked on them ever since. Have you noticed how their price has risen? I used to get them for 3 or 4 bunches for a buck, but now they're usually 79 cents per bunch. But I have found them at the old price in a Chinese food market.

I'm curious to see how well my Catawissa walking onions will do this spring. They are an unusual variety of Egyptian walking onions. The pyramid builders ate lots of onions and beer, and they didn't have any Beano.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:25 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I'm curious to see how well my Catawissa walking onions will do this spring. They are an unusual variety of Egyptian walking onions. The pyramid builders ate lots of onions and beer, and they didn't have any Beano.

Maybe the Great Fire in the library of Alexandria was started when someone lit a match.

Onions are such a big part of all the cooking that I do that it will be difficult to sort out which recipe to post for IOTM.

French Onion Soup comes immediately to mind, but my oven's currently busted so I can't make that classic very easily.

Onions are the major vegetable ingredient in Chinese red-cooked chicken.

Onions are of course one-third of the Cajun Trinity.

And where would a lot of Indian cooking be without onions (the Vaishnavu non-onion, non-garlic vegetarian tradition notwithstanding)?

And we haven't even started on scallions.

Or ramps (which I've found growing wild as far north as Connecticut).

January looks to be a good month. But first I have to eat through a big backlog of leftovers before I can consider cooking anything new.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 am

I have no problem making French onion soup on top of the stove. Without an oven, though, you can't brown the cheese and crouton. Perhaps you could use a blowtorch.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Larry, thanks for the bahji recipe. It looks right in terms of ingredients, but I'll note tht every Indian restaurant I've ever had a bahji in (I always ask for it, even when it's not on the menu) used sliced onions not "coarsely chopped", and I think the sliced would make a much better construction. They look spidery when done, and the onion pieces would be less inclined to fall off/out.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Great topic. I love onions in all their forms and have been using them daily in some form or another for most of my adult life. They are a fantastic health tonic and taste great, obviously. I also love having a few different types of Allium vegetables in the garden: garlic for its green leaves, chives (they come up every year on their own in the spring). There is also a type of flowering onion that produces purple flowers atop slender, chive-like growth that's thicker than that of actual chives - my neighbour had these in his garden last year and I will be planting some too once I learn of its proper name. In any case ... onions, garlic, wine - it's all great stuff.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:12 am

Jenise wrote:Do you eat them raw? It was commonplace when I was a kid for cold green onions to be served raw any time meat, potatoes and gravy were served in combination, like a pot roast. Never been a fan myself, but I'm not sure my grandpa could have eaten his without.

Jenise, I remember as a kid my dad (and eventually me too) eating green onions raw....just dipped the end in salt first. And when I was a busboy at a local country club, each dinner table always had a relish tray that included raw green onions, raw radishes, along with pickles and olives.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 am

MikeH wrote:I remember as a kid my dad (and eventually me too) eating green onions raw....just dipped the end in salt first. And when I was a busboy at a local country club, each dinner table always had a relish tray that included raw green onions, raw radishes, along with pickles and olives.

The Trustees House at Shakertown at Pleasant Hill in central Kentucky (a place you may be familiar with, Mike), which specializes in traditional Shaker dishes and historic Kentucky cuisine, invariably puts a couple of whole raw green onions on its relish trays. I guess people eat them ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:30 pm

MikeH wrote:

Jenise, I remember as a kid my dad (and eventually me too) eating green onions raw....just dipped the end in salt first. And when I was a busboy at a local country club, each dinner table always had a relish tray that included raw green onions, raw radishes, along with pickles and olives.

Mike, now that you mention it, I remember exactly that combintion on relish trays at an upscale "Continental" style restaurant we went to a lot when I was a child. We ate the pickles and olives, left the rest: Grandpa didn't join us on these dinners. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:49 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I have no problem making French onion soup on top of the stove. Without an oven, though, you can't brown the cheese and crouton. Perhaps you could use a blowtorch.

Yeah, that's the problem with having a busted oven. The broiler element's still working, though, so perhaps I could try doing the main part of the French onion soup on the stove, and setting the oven to "broil" for the finish.

But instead I think I'm just going to make the time to get the gas laid in so I can have a gas range cook top and electric oven. Problem is, the gas pipe has to go through the wine cellar, half of which will have to be moved out while they lay the gas piping.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:25 am

Don't let the plumbers drink your wine while they're playing with gas pipes.
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:45 pm

this is my ognion-basked :D

[img]http://s6.bilder-hosting.de/tbnl/T34PS.jpg[/img]

french shallots and a old species of onions with a thick skin but great taste!

my recepie ITOM:

red onion-confit:
Red onions or shallots cut in stripes
heat up a pan with some oil, fry the onions until they stard to get slightly brown, add red plums, cut in small pieces and ad salt, a hint of good mustard, and some port let it cook until the jus is gone.
let it cool down to room temperature and add dropp-wise the best vinegar you have. i like this: ([img]http://s6.bilder-hosting.de/tbnl/T3VH0.jpg[/img])
yo will get a "paste" that has to have stron aroma of the onions, a hint soureness and good saltiness.

i like to serve this to goose-liver or other terrines (like game)
Tsunami alias Albino
Next