Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

#HideTheKale

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

#HideTheKale

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Fooling around with kale pesto again. Kale from the garden instead of basil; pecans in place of pine nuts; plenty of garlic, lots of olive oil and Grana Padano cheese. Tastes great! #HideTheKale
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: #HideTheKale

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:00 pm

Looks really good; though of course, one doesn't need to hide the kale to get me to eat it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Looks really good; though of course, one doesn't need to hide the kale to get me to eat it!

There's a little back story there. Mary grew up eating all manner of greens. The only one we ever had was spinach. :lol: It took her a long time to get used to even collards or kale. They taste weird to me, and chewy. I know they're good for me, so I'm always looking for ways to use them as ingredients but "hide" them among the other instruments of the culinary symphony. Puree, fine-chop and chiffonade are all options. Anything to get rid of that "papery" texture.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm

All my adult life I avoided kale. I remember as a child that I hated kale. Truth is I just hated the way my family prepared this veggie. I reluctantly agreed to grow a small patch of kale in the garden this year. Love the stuff raw, sauteed, steamed, whatever. Have even frozen a few 1lb packages for consumption this winter. Can't get enough of it and don't need to dress it up in camo. :)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 pm

I really like kale, in every way I've ever had it. Trying to grow it in my garden this summer, but the insects seem to love it even better. Planning to sow seeds again in a week or so. I have much better luck with them in the fall. Going to definitely try this pesto idea. Yum! :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon