Coffee question

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: Coffee question

Postby Larry Greenly » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Apparently there are many combo wine and coffee geeks like Larry out there. That must be why there has been a coffee column in Wine Spectator for a while.

Me being a wine and coffee geek! :lol: I drink anything put in front of me, from wines that WLDG said are "undrinkable" to the good stuff. And the same goes for coffee.

I'll even eat saltines other than the Premium brand. I'm an unsnob.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby Christy M. » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 pm

I'm very partial to the coffee from the birthplace of coffee - Ethiopia. I lived there for two years, had my own coffee plants, picked my own beans, dried them in the sun, roasted them and pounded them (okay maybe I had a maid that did a lot of the work). Still, to me it is what coffee is really supposed to taste like. I really like Peet's Ethio, dislike Starbucks, Fairtrade is okay but when it comes down to it, its Ethio or bust for me (at least if I'm making it at home).

Christy
Christy
Christy M.
Wine geek

Postby TimMc » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:50 pm

If you have a Costco nearby, their "house" Columbian is pretty good, IMHO.

Kirkland is the brand name.
TimMc

Postby Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:43 pm

TimMc wrote:If you have a Costco nearby, their "house" Columbian is pretty good, IMHO.

I agree.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby Doug Surplus » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:50 pm

Christy M. wrote:I'm very partial to the coffee from the birthplace of coffee - Ethiopia. I lived there for two years, had my own coffee plants, picked my own beans, dried them in the sun, roasted them and pounded them (okay maybe I had a maid that did a lot of the work). Still, to me it is what coffee is really supposed to taste like. I really like Peet's Ethio, dislike Starbucks, Fairtrade is okay but when it comes down to it, its Ethio or bust for me (at least if I'm making it at home).

Christy

Ethiopian coffees are among my favorites also, although I am partial to Mocha Sanani. I'm sipping some Ethiopia Sidamo right now (from Starbucks). I also like the Yergacheffe when I can get it.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
Doug Surplus
Wine guru

Postby TimMc » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:04 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
TimMc wrote:If you have a Costco nearby, their "house" Columbian is pretty good, IMHO.

I agree.

And cheap, too.

Something like $6 bucks for a three pound can or a bag of beans. :)
TimMc

Postby Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:41 pm

We bought a couple of cases to use at our SouthWest Writers meetings. And it's what I'm drinking right now.
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby TimMc » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:13 pm

I'll be right over :wink:
TimMc

Postby Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:38 am

Peets, pretty much w/out fail. Have tried some other recs from friends but always end up coming back to Peets.
Kyrstyn Kralovec
Wine guru

Postby Carrie L. » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:15 pm

Larry, I have no problem with Folgers. We use it from the can, and have for years. Sometimes I think we find value in a product, just because it costs twice as much I buy the Folgers in the 52 oz plastic can and one lasts us about a month.

I've always been a bit of a coffee snob stemming from a very brief, part-time stint as a barista (no, not at "Charbucks").
A few weeks ago, I visited my parents in Florida, and came downstairs following the incredible aroma of freshly brewed coffee the first morning. My parents are -- what shall we say -- thrifty, so I know they don't buy expensive coffee. But this coffee was absolutely wonderful. Rich and toasty, not bitter. It was Folgers 100% Columbian.

Has anyone tried McDonalds Green Mountain/Paul Newman gourmet coffee? I think that is very good also, but I tried purchasing the beans to make at home. The product is not offerred! I'm so surprised.
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Are we on TV?
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:21 pm

So how do you store your coffee? Freezer, refrigerator or something else? What kind of container?
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Postby TimMc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:48 am

Larry Greenly wrote:So how do you store your coffee? Freezer, refrigerator or something else? What kind of container?

Long term: Freezer.

Short term: Zip-lock Baggie.
TimMc

Previous

Return to The Forum Kitchen