Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: All-in-ade

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

RCP: All-in-ade

by wnissen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 pm

All-in-ade

2 large lemons
1 orange
1 lime
170g sugar
.5 L water
.5 L ice cubes
1 L sparkling water

Makes ~2 L

In honor of the World Cup (U-S-A! U-S-A!), here's my recipe for a hot summer day.

Add the sugar to a 2L pitcher. Juice the citrus, getting as much pulp as you can in the mix. Zest half the lime with a microplane, and add the water. Use a stick blender to dissolve the sugar and break up the pulp. Add the ice and stir well. Combine roughly 50-50 with the sparkling water to make a tarter, refreshing beverage, or slightly less cold water for a more traditional lemonade like beverage.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: All-in-ade

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 am

This also looks like a decent Sangria base. ;)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 am

So Howie, give me your recipe for sangria. I first made/drank sangria 40+ years ago when I was stationed in Seville Spain. There we used the fruit juice and the fruit, plus red wine and some brandy. During the summer we would sit out at the picnic table(s) and have fish and chips and drink sangria until all food and drink was gone. Man, THOSE WERE the good old days.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Bob - My "recipe" is about 1/2 some home made red wine mixed with Minute Maid 5-Alive original citrus frozen concentrate, reconstituted. I haven't made it in a while because I can't seem to find the 5-Alive. I think Coca-Cola discontinued it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:01 am

Howie, the Coca-Cola/Minute Maid company has downsized the can of 5-Alive concentrate by 17% and are still charging the same price. I suspect the absence of it on grocery shelves is a direct result of that. We just used frozen orange juice, frozen lemon-aid or fruit flavored soft drink if frozen wasn't available. Since there were 8-10 of us each night we did this we made it by the gallon. We cut up fresh fruit such as apples grapes oranges (slices) lemon and lime slices and bananas. We did this all a day or two in advance so the fruit could be well macerated. We used 4-6 bottles of red wine and at least a liter of brandy. The fish and chips were purchased from a kiosk vendor so the chips were freshly home made and the fish was always Hake. (Merluza in Spanish). Damn, now I need to make up a batch of sangria!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 am

Howie Hart wrote:Bob - My "recipe" is about 1/2 some home made red wine mixed with Minute Maid 5-Alive original citrus frozen concentrate, reconstituted. I haven't made it in a while because I can't seem to find the 5-Alive. I think Coca-Cola discontinued it.

5-Alive! I had forgotten about that. Good to hear it's still in existence.
Walter Nissen