Wine of choice?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Wine of choice?

Postby Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:25 am

In general, and if the quality of the following wines are identical, which one would you choose for dishes that use red wine, such as boeuf borguignonne or a pot roast, etc.? Why?

Merlot
Pinot Noir
Cabernet Sauvignon
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Re: Wine of choice?

Postby Randy Buckner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:46 am

Carole makes Boeuf Bourguignonne frequently. She uses whatever red happens to be open. I can't see where the quality of the dish is improved with one wine over the other. I guess purists would use Pinot Noir.
Randy Buckner
Wine guru

Postby John Tomasso » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 am

There's not enough info in your question for me to make an informed decision.

It would depend upon the flavor profiles of the wines - personally, whichever had the least amount of oak would probably get a leg up.

Now if you come back and tell me that the wines all have the exact same oak treatment, I'd probably just pick the cheapest one.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
John Tomasso
Too Big to Fail

Postby Robin Garr » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:14 am

Larry Greenly wrote:In general, and if the quality of the following wines are identical, which one would you choose for dishes that use red wine, such as boeuf borguignonne or a pot roast, etc.? Why?

Merlot
Pinot Noir
Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm pretty much on board with everyone else, Larry. I wouldn't cook with a wine too unpalatable to drink, but I wouldn't waste an expensive wine as a cooking medium. I don't think the variety matters much, although I'd shy away from an overtly oaky wine for fear it might communicate those flavors to the sauce.

Speaking intuitively, I'm also thinking that the more acidic wine might make the best cooking medium just as it's likely to make the best food companion.

And while it's a little silly, maybe, I do enjoy using the wine of the country to make an ethnic dish, so mark me down with a slight preference for Pinot Noir - maybe a cheap but drinkable generic Bourgogne? - for <i>boeuf bourguignonne</i>.
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And while it's a little silly, maybe, I do enjoy using the wine of the country to make an ethnic dish, so mark me down with a slight preference for Pinot Noir - maybe a cheap but drinkable generic Bourgogne? - for <i>boeuf bourguignonne</i>.

OK, French wine with a French dish ... but what about the beef? French, too?

And now what?
Gary Barlettano
Pappone di Vino

Postby Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:05 pm

... but what about the beef? French, too?

That looks just like Robin's old girlfriend.... same damned glasses -- udderly ridiculous.
Randy Buckner
Wine guru

Postby Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
... but what about the beef? French, too?

That looks just like Robin's old girlfriend.... same damned glasses -- udderly ridiculous.

I believe this particular species is referred to as a French Moodle.
And now what?
Gary Barlettano
Pappone di Vino

Postby Dale Williams » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:41 pm

In general I tend to look for inexpensive, not flabby or oaky, dry, good fruit wines. Which means I tend to use Cotes du Rhone, Spanish wines like basic Borsao, or Zins like Pepperwood Grove or Cline.

I'm pretty much set on Burgundy/Pinot Noir for Beef Bourguignon, and use sometime like a Langhe or Colli Nov. Nebbiolo for beef al Barolo. I tend to find a synergy (hey, there's a fad word that has faded quickly) between the wine I serve and the dish if I use a cheap Bourgogne for the dish and maybe a 1er cru as accompaniment that might be all in my head, but if it makes me happy.......
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:48 pm

I tend to reach for a Cotes du Rhones when cooking. It makes an undetectable stand-in for pinot noir, and it can be generally counted on to be medium bodied, less tannic, and never goopy with fruit and sweetness, nor overextracted and oaky. I also like it for it's softer color--put a real purple cabernet or extracted shiraz in a dish, and you'll end up with unappealing, black food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby TimMc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:50 am

I was told once by a wine maker...don't cook with a wine you wouldn't serve at the dinner table.

I have tried to live by that advice as much as I can.
TimMc

Postby Bob Ross » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:55 am

Cote du Rhone, usually. Otherwise Pinot Noir.

Wines that we would like to drink with the dish. We tend to add the wine during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Exception: a wine reduction -- served on the side. Then Cabs, Zins and Pinot Noir seem to work best.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:25 pm

TimMc wrote:I was told once by a wine maker...don't cook with a wine you wouldn't serve at the dinner table.

That's good advice, Tim. Of course, it doesn't mean pour Chateau Margaux into the stew, but certainly corked, oxidized, or just bad tasting wines aren't going to make your food taste good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Carl Eppig » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Agree with Bucko and Dale. Use whatever is open or go cheep. The same type of wine you are going to drink with it is also a good idea as expressed by others here. Type not brand. We have been making a couple of Boeuf Bourguignonnes to bring to pot lucks lately, and have used both Pepperwood Grove and Rex Goliath Pinots. Both worked just fine thank you.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Return to The Forum Kitchen