"Charity" Catered Dinner

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: "Charity" Catered Dinner

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Excellent, Frank! I've enjoyed reading what went into this meal and I've learned from it. Sounds like it worked out beautifully.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Frank Deis » Sun May 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks a lot Mike and Jeff. Here are some pictures…

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~molbio/karl_dinner.html

F
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 11, 2014 11:39 pm

It all looks great. I particularly like how the duck course came together.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Frank Deis » Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 pm

I have been puzzling over -- where did I get that big can of duck legs?? And I just stumbled across the answer.

http://www.gourmet-delights.com/store/rougie.html

So not only are these legs a bit cheaper than d'Artagnan's, they are really more tender and juicy as well. You don't see Rougie products very often in the states, but their foie gras is also tops.

And I mentioned to Jenise -- I actually just passed the jar of black salt around when some people wanted a bit of salt. It made for another conversation piece.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Wed May 21, 2014 11:53 am

Speaking of foie gras, it's amazing how much it costs here (I know, it's a supply and demand thing) than in France. I was shocked when we were there a few years ago and could buy whole cans of foie gras for about $3, and lots of different brands/choices, at a place that was essentially a Walmart. You could buy TVs, needles and thread, wine--literally everything there, including groceries that are fantastic to us but obviously quite normal to them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Previous

Return to The Forum Kitchen