Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Why visit an international food market?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Why visit an international food market?

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 pm

Coincidentally, a few days ago I interviewed the manager of the international market in another thread that describes a wine thief. We discussed why ordinary people, who might be afraid to visit an oriental or international market, should screw up their courage and explore these markets.

I'd like to hear some of your logical reasons why it makes sense to visit and purchase items from such stores, even if you're a meat and potatoes, Miracle Whip kind of person.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Why visit an international food market?

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Orange flower water.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Price. 99 Ranch sells meat and produce far below Safeway's prices.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:30 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
I'd like to hear some of your logical reasons why it makes sense to visit and purchase items from such stores, even if you're a meat and potatoes, Miracle Whip kind of person.

I like my international, and local Mexican markets because I can get spices far more cheaply and reasonably fresh. This is especially true at the international market. Another thing is It give me access to EVOO from several countries. I usually just buy the Colavita, or the Bertoalli (sp) but I really do intend to try EVOO from Lebanon, Turkey, and Greece, and all three are available at the International market.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Don't know if this fits as International Market, but strolling Grand Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and shopping at the Chinese markets, has brought me to fishes I still cannot identify by name--but loved when I tasted them. Best reason I can think of to shop there: outrageously interesting selections.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Christy M.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Christy M. » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:25 pm

As several other posters stated, you can get fresher herbs, vegetables and some staples at cheaper prices that at your local grocer. Of course they are also great for otherwise hard to find specialty foods.

In my mind an international food market is really for those that are curious about food. I know meat-and-potatoes who are and who aren't interested in exploring the world of food. For those who are, it's a wonderful bridge into other food worlds. It can be a pathway into new ingredients, techniques, flavors and fun. For those not so interested in trying on new foods, it's really the discounted foods one can get at these places.
Christy
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:41 pm

Escape from the giant conglomerate corporate brands who own all the shelfspace at supermarket megachains, and the chance to discover, just for example, that Kikkoman is very ordinary soy sauce. There really is a big wonderful world out there beyond Kraft Foods.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Escape from the giant conglomerate corporate brands who own all the shelfspace at supermarket megachains, and the chance to discover, just for example, that Kikkoman is very ordinary soy sauce. There really is a big wonderful world out there beyond Kraft Foods.

BRAVO!!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Escape from the giant conglomerate corporate brands who own all the shelfspace at supermarket megachains, and the chance to discover, just for example, that Kikkoman is very ordinary soy sauce. There really is a big wonderful world out there beyond Kraft Foods.

BRAVO!!!

Except for the reference to Kraft as Foods ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 am

Thomas wrote:Except for the reference to Kraft as Foods.

And now we know why they made it part of the name. Kraft Rubber just didn't have the right ring to it. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov