Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sous Vide Corned Beef

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Sous Vide Corned Beef

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 am

All my sons are in town for a family wedding, so I did a sous vide corned beef over the weekend and it was fantastic! The 9+ lb. brisket was made by Ford Wholesale Meats of West Valley, NY (Paddy's brand) and I bought it at Pellicano's Market Place, around the corner from me. It was vacuum packed and the seasonings were mixed in with the brine, not in a separate envelope, so the only prep work was to remove the labels. I placed the brisket in my 20-qt. Rival electric roaster with about 8 qts. of water and set the temp to 160 degF. at about 4AM Saturday. This setting maintained a temp of 150 in the bath water. I turned the brisket over once after about 12 hours. At 2PM Sunday, I removed the brisket and dumped most of the water bath, but kept about 3 qts. in the roaster, so 34 hours. Then, I opened the vacuum pack and emptied the entire contents into the roaster. I rubbed the seasonings off the brisket and then set it on a cookie sheet and placed it in the oven at 200 degF until I sliced it for dinner at 4:30. In the meantime, the cabbage, carrots and potatoes were put in the roaster and the temp raised to 350 until dinner was served. I do a corned beef & cabbage dinner every year for St. Patty's Day, and this is the best I've ever made. The slices were firm, but very tender.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Sous Vide Corned Beef

by Jenise » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Howie, I'm sorry to have not replied earlier, I only saw this post just now. But wow, what a brilliant idea--cooking it direct in the sealed package. Want to make sure I understand--your crock pot actually has a temp setting, or did you install one somehow? Mine just has Low and High, as I think most do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:23 am

I did it in my Rival 20-qt roaster. It has dial which can be set from 150 to 400 degrees. You can set it lower than 150 - I did some pork a while ago and maintained 140 for about 12 hours. The wrapped 9 lb. brisket fit nicely into it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

I really have to get myself a sous vide rig. Sounds like fun, and the results sound delicious.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Problem with using the sealed bag directly from the market is that if it has been frozen it will taste much more salty. If you have your own bagger I would remove it from the bag, rinse and soak it for an hour and then seal it and start the process.

I don't think there is a market left in the Twin Cities that makes their own. They are all brought in frozen in the bag from elsewhere and then placed in the refrigerated section to thaw. I usually purchase a number of corned beef briskets around St Pat's Day. They are on sale and there are a large number from which to make my selection. I take them home and besides one will refreeze them to use during the year. I like to smoke them so I want to have some marbling and yet not a huge fat cap.

If you can actually get the fresh ones you are really lucky and have a great product to work from without the fuss.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I did it in my Rival 20-qt roaster. It has dial which can be set from 150 to 400 degrees. You can set it lower than 150 - I did some pork a while ago and maintained 140 for about 12 hours. The wrapped 9 lb. brisket fit nicely into it.

A question, Howie. How did you calculate how long it would have to stay in the water bath to get to your desired doneness/tenderness?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:06 am

Jenise - I based the cooking time and temp on two things. The first was past experience when I did a sirloin tip roast a while ago: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46115&p=377560. Secondly, I researched it on this website, where they actually recommended a higher temp for a shorter time.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:03 am

I copied this post from last year to answer a question on FB and thought I'd bump it up for this year.