Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New product at TraderJoe's: I like!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

New product at TraderJoe's: I like!

by Jenise » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Yesterday, these were on an end cap display called "New Items" or "Just In" or something like that, that I never noticed before, though perhaps this store has had it all along--it's near the chips and stuff I don't tend to look at. It's a wheat based cracker credited as Sardinian, and the package isn't kidding when it says 'paper thin'. To show that, I deliberately took this picture of a cracker standing next to the box where you can easily see the difference between the box and day light behind it.

They are as fragile as they are thin. You cannot dip them, nor could you spread anything on it. But they are also as good as they are fragile. Tasty tasty tasty, with a delightful saltiness. We ate a few last night with just a thin slice of Muenster cheese laid atop. The cracker in this picture was not a full-sized piece--each is actually about 5 x 6 inches--and there are about ten per box. Not a lot of product, but enough joy for two and a bottle of wine. :)

IMG_0940.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: New product at TraderJoe's: I like!

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Jenise, have you tried La Panzanella Mini Croccantini, rosemary flavor? They are a paper thin cracker, 3 1/2 inches long by 1 3/4 wide, all natural, low fat. You cannot dip these or spread anything on them. We also use them to lay a slice of cheese on and have as a snack. They have ragged edges which makes them very attractive on a plate.
I will look for the ones you mentioned at TJ's. Always on the lookout for a cracker I like enough to finish up the package. That is the one thing I toss out the most in my kitchen. So many go stale really fast, and the taste leaves a lot to be desired.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Karen, yes, I'm very familiar with the La Panzanella crackers. They come in two sizes, and the minis you mention are the newest. The original is a larger flatbread size. But the ones I have had aren't paper thin. Not like these are, anyway!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: New product at Trader Joe's: I like!

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, yes, I'm very familiar with the La Panzanella crackers. They come in two sizes, and the minis you mention are the newest. The original is a larger flatbread size. But the ones I have had aren't paper thin. Not like these are, anyway!

Yes, I first became acquainted with them from the larger flatbread size, which I did not care for because they were too hard to break apart without making a mess of the pieces. As you said, not paper thin but very thin for a cracker. I'm anxious to see if our TJ's have the ones you like.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Jenise, these are easy enough to make yourself and once made, last forever. I've experimented with differing AP and durum flour proportions and like 50-50. Some recipes for these flatbreads, sometimes called carta di musica or pane carasau, call for yeast but I prefer no yeast and enough salt to taste. Also great with cracked black pepper or rosemary.
It involves baking the rolled dough on a pizza stone, splitting the layers apart and then baking again till totally crisp. The splitting part is not bad if you have asbestos hands :wink:
In Sardinia served, crumbled with fresh ricotta drizzled with honey....divine. Wonderful broken in minestrone.
Last edited by Christina Georgina on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm

The ingredient list on the box mentioned yeast--had to wonder, why yeast in something that's going to be parchment thin? Does it make it even lighter?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Picked up a package at TJs today, and will try soon.