Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Savory Mini Pepper Jelly Tarts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Savory Mini Pepper Jelly Tarts

by Jenise » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:38 pm

If I had seen this recipe in a magazine, I'd have totally ignored it. But someone made and brought these to a wine tasting a few months ago, and they were absolutely outstanding. Crazy-addictive--I could not leave them alone! Though a sweet jelly's involved, it's not a lot of jelly and the salty savoriness of the cheddar crust more than compensates--these are not dessert! I begged for the recipe, and here it is. Makes 30 mini-muffin sized tarts--each about two bites. A great appetizer--and in fact, that crust in the mini muffin tins all by itself would be a great starting point for a lot of delicious little appetizer thingies.

CAROL M's PEPPER JELLY TARTS

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c butter, softened
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup flour
2/3 c hot red pepper jelly
*Water

Beat cheese, butter, paprika and cayenne pepper together until blended, then stir in flour. Mix until it just forms a dough. Shape the mixture into 30 small balls. Press each ball into a mini muffin cup to form a tart shell. Spoon 1 tsp of the jelly into the center of each tart shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan(s) 10 minutes, then remove to a rack for further cooling. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Baked tarts, Carol tells me, freeze well too).

*The recipe I was given did not include water, but my dough would not cohese without more liquid. Melted butter or water--I used water. Add by the tablespoon, if needed, until you have a dough that will hold. I needed about 2 tblsp for half a recipe of dough--on a cold and dry evening here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Savory Baby Pepper Jelly Tarts

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Do you know what kind of pepper jelly she used? Home made? There are so many out there, some good, some not. Also, lots of types of peppers to use, if doing the home made type. I love easy recipes like this.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: RCP: Savory Baby Pepper Jelly Tarts

by Jenise » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Do you know what kind of pepper jelly she used? Home made? There are so many out there, some good, some not. Also, lots of types of peppers to use, if doing the home made type. Was the jelly red or green? I love easy recipes like this.

No idea what brand she used or if it was home-made. It was red, though, and best I recall tasted like the base could have been strawberry--definitely a red fruity flavor and lighter red color. Any good red pepper jelly will do--if it doesn't taste good by itself, it won't be good in the tart.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: RCP: Savory Mini Pepper Jelly Tarts

by Carrie L. » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you for sharing! Sounds really good!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Hmmmm...I'm suddenly imagining these made with some parm in place of cheddar in the dough, and filled with lemon curd and rosemary--a friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks (at home) and I'm doing a bunch of the food for her. All the food's Italian. Would be beautiful, no?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Inspired, Jenise. I was thinking along the lines of blue cheese and fig myself but I really like rosemary, lemon Parm combo.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Love that idea, too, Christina.

I'm making the test version of the lemon tarts today. And because the curd is opaque, I'm thinking of putting the curd in the bottom, then some rosemary, and topping it with a nearly clear gold hot pepper jelly someone gave me along the way that I've not found a use for yet. Will put a clear gloss on top, I'm thinking, and an interesting extra layer of complexity. Will report back!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:26 pm

IMG_1110.JPG

Okay, so I made a half batch yesterday. They're divine. HOWEVER, once I blended the fats and the flour, I didn't have a dough that would cohese. I either needed to add melted butter or water, so I added water. About 2 tblsp to the half recipe of dough. I'll amend Carol's recipe above to include that step.

Next version: goat cheese in the bottom topped with orange marmalade and fennel pollen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Looking very good Jenise. Those flecks of pepper in the crust make me think almond crust with Aleppo pepper and a Moroccan Tomato Jam interior. What a wonderful recipe to riff on and will certainly be a drinks offering for a large birthday bash I'm planning in April. Inspiring ! Thanks for the updates
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:00 pm

I made a copy of this recipe when you first posted it.

You said:

" ... goat cheese in the bottom topped with orange marmalade and fennel pollen."

They look really good,Jenise. I'm not a foodie, so what the hell is "fennel pollen," aside from the obvious? What planet does one have to go to to find it? Is there a more commonly available alternative?

Thanks
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Alan, I bought mine at a specialty store, but fennel seed would be just as good, whole or ground.
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks - For that reason I'll be much more likely to try it. So far, everything you've recommended that I've tried has gone into my permanent library.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:59 am

Alan Wolfe wrote:Thanks - For that reason I'll be much more likely to try it. So far, everything you've recommended that I've tried has gone into my permanent library.

Well, in this case then, hold on because I haven't recommended that combination. It's just in my head for what to try to get an ultimate kind of baby jam tart experience onto the table for my friend's wedding. Am going to test--will report back! In the meantime, thanks so much for the compliment.