Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Baking question.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Baking question.

by Tom NJ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:13 pm

My wife gave me a Le Creuset tart pan for our anniversary recently, and although it's beautiful and I've made a couple of quiches in it, I haven't used it for tarts. I've only ever used springform pans when I make pâte sucrée sweets up til now.

But a friend of mine from California has just mailed me out a package of humongoid Meyer lemons and I want to make a lemon tart in that Le Creuset, dammit. But I'm worried I won't be able to get the crust out in one piece once it's pre-baked, and then re-baked with the filling.

Does anyone have any tips? If I oil or butter (or butter and sugar) the pan will it overly brown the paste?

Jo An, I know you said you make pâte sucrée - do you use a solid pan?

BTW, I'm using Martha's "pâte sucrée exta" recipe. It's got a little more sugar and an extra egg yolk, which I think will go better with the lemon curd type filling I'm making.

Thanks, all!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Baking question.

by Thomas » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I don't have an answer for you but want to extend a warning: Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons, and it can show up in a recipe.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Thomas wrote:I don't have an answer for you but want to extend a warning: Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons, and it can show up in a recipe.

Thanks for that, Thomas. I found that out last night when I used a couple to make avgalemono and a pork piccata :roll: Now it's on to the tart, a Meyer lemon ice cream (I have a creme anglaise that I simmered with zest chilling down in the cooler now), and something yet to be determined.

Thanks again!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 am

Sorry Tom, I'm just seeing your post. I use a springform tart pan. You can always cut a parchment lining to fit the bottom of your Le Creuset pan and oil your pan before putting it down. That will insure an easy release for your tart shell.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Sorry Tom, I'm just seeing your post. I use a springform tart pan. You can always cut a parchment lining to fit the bottom of your Le Creuset pan and oil your pan before putting it down. That will insure an easy release for your tart shell.

Hi Jo Ann!

Thanks very much for the input. Lol...although I hope you're not offended that I didn't wait to hear back from you before cooking it :wink:

Yeah, I also always used springform pans previously. But I really, really wanted to give the Le Creuset a ride, if only because my wife was giving me grief about "never using her present". I ended up brushing a very light layer of oil on the inside of the pan, then blind baking the crust before adding in the filling and baking it to finish.

I'm surprised - and relieved - to say the pan was completely non-stick. After the tart cooled I cut one slice out cleanly, then used a flexible fish spatula to lift the remainder out onto a platter. It was a lot easier than I imagined.

(BTW, after making the crème anglaise for the ice cream, then the curd for the tart, I had a ton of egg whites left over. I made a big batch of coconut-tangerine macaroons and an angel food cake. Here's pics of the tart and cake, using the one background in my house that actually makes it look like we tried this holiday season :lol: )

Thanks again for taking the time to give me your thoughts! :)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Looks fabulous! (I ain't mad atcha! - said the ghetto girl) BTWl, egg whites freeze well.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Looks fabulous! (I ain't mad atcha! - said the ghetto girl) BTWl, egg whites freeze well.

LOL! This pretty-fly-for-a-white-guy actually knew he could freeze them. But you know how it is when you get on a cooking jag. No deferred gratification! I have to make it NOW!! Word. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Tom, I was noticing your dining room chairs. Is that a salmon color around the edge of the chair? Is the table top a dark wood color, with 2 heavy pedestal legs that are the lighter color with the salmon trim? My set came with cushioned backs attached to that cane type backing. It also has three 20 inch leaves and makes into a huge table.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Tom, I was noticing your dining room chairs. Is that a salmon color around the edge of the chair? Is the table top a dark wood color, with 2 heavy pedestal legs that are the lighter color with the salmon trim? My set came with cushioned backs attached to that cane type backing. It also has three 20 inch leaves and makes into a huge table.

Oh no! I'm being asked a Wife Question! Husbands don't notice stuff like this!

But I ran back and checked. The chairs - other than the cane backs - are uniformly medium brown (oak, maybe?). There is no contrasting trim. Same with the table - it does indeed have two pedestal legs (and 3 leaves, like yours) - but like the chairs, the color is uniform throughout. Her folks gave it to us when they moved to their retirement home. It weighs more than my car :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Yep, same set, just a different color. We love it, but never entertain in our dining room anymore...we are much more casual now....thank goodness! It is heavy, well made and I want to sell it. Ours came with gold and ivory brocade cushions on seat and back. We have since updated the cushions to fit our modern decor. We may down size to a smaller home...may build in the spring. Too much house and too much land for us now!!!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:36 am

Tom NJ wrote:I'm surprised - and relieved - to say the pan was completely non-stick. After the tart cooled I cut one slice out cleanly, then used a flexible fish spatula to lift the remainder out onto a platter. It was a lot easier than I imagined.

Tom, your tart looks beeyootiful! But for release, next time (that is, now that you know) wouldn't you use a platter to turn the tart over, then reverse it back to another platter or plate so that it's out of the pan whole and right side up?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Tom, your tart looks beeyootiful! But for release, next time (that is, now that you know) wouldn't you use a platter to turn the tart over, then reverse it back to another platter or plate so that it's out of the pan whole and right side up?

Hi Jenise - thanks!!

Y'know, I thought about the "invert, then invert again" trick. But I didn't know how the tart pan cooked yet, so I didn't know if it would release, stick, or - worse - partially stick. Coward that I am, I went the safe (if aesthetically inferior) route of sliding it out after a slice was taken. But now that I know how great that pan is, I'll try it next time :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:Tom, your tart looks beeyootiful! But for release, next time (that is, now that you know) wouldn't you use a platter to turn the tart over, then reverse it back to another platter or plate so that it's out of the pan whole and right side up?

Hi Jenise - thanks!!

Y'know, I thought about the "invert, then invert again" trick. But I didn't know how the tart pan cooked yet, so I didn't know if it would release, stick, or - worse - partially stick. Coward that I am, I went the safe (if aesthetically inferior) route of sliding it out after a slice was taken. But now that I know how great that pan is, I'll try it next time :)

If you put the buttered piece of wax paper or parchment under the crust as I believe someone else suggested, then you'll have all the insurance you need. You'll just peel it off when the tart's upside down after the first inversion. I made four terrines on Friday out of chicken mousseline, and were it not for wax paper I'd probably still be scraping them out of the molds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks for the tips, Jenise! You're a real tart :lol:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Tom NJ wrote:

Hi Jenise - thanks!!

This process works better for dishes when the top of the item is set, like a quiche or something. It may not work as well for something where the filling is more custardy and does not fully set up until after it has cooled for a while, like with this lemon curd, or one that may have been finished with a cooked meringue. I would not suggest it. And, the tart is usually all about presentation. You will not go wrong with an oiled piece of parchment if you continue to use this pan as your go-to tart pan.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:This process works better for dishes when the top of the item is set, like a quiche or something. It may not work as well for something where the filling is more custardy and does not fully set up until after it has cooled for a while, like with this lemon curd, or one that may have been finished with a cooked meringue. I would not suggest it. And, the tart is usually all about presentation. You will not go wrong with an oiled piece of parchment if you continue to use this pan as your go-to tart pan.

Points well taken. Thanks again, Jo Ann!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:This process works better for dishes when the top of the item is set, like a quiche or something. It may not work as well for something where the filling is more custardy and does not fully set up until after it has cooled for a while, like with this lemon curd, or one that may have been finished with a cooked meringue. I would not suggest it. And, the tart is usually all about presentation. You will not go wrong with an oiled piece of parchment if you continue to use this pan as your go-to tart pan.

Agreed--in general. But in this case the rim of the pastry was clearly and uniformly well above the level of the filling. For those reasons I'd have chanced it, personally. Might have been sorry, too, but I do think it would have worked. And yes, when fully cooled.