CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

LE RUSTIQUE (Jean Verrier) Camembert from Normandy. Awesomely ripe and gooey and stinky. I, of course, forgot to buy crackers at Trader Joe's today, but I have been literally dipping my fingers in the gooey goodness. Darn, this is delicious!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7098
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

LE RUSTIQUE (Jean Verrier) Camembert from Normandy. Awesomely ripe and gooey and stinky. I, of course, forgot to buy crackers at Trader Joe's today, but I have been literally dipping my fingers in the gooey goodness. Darn, this is delicious!

Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.

That's what happens when cheese gets too old. Cheese, especially ripe cheese varieties, is a little like wine in this regard, only the aging curve is much quicker. Once it goes around the bend, it's gone. :(

But to state the response another way, a good, ripe but fresh Camembert should not smell like ammonia. Not at all. (And on the other end of the curve, if you open it too young, when it still has a firm, kind of "swiss"-like consistency, it's just bland and boring. You want it when it starts getting a little runny, but then you want to eat it up.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17189
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Soft cheeses usually go through the same evolution from firm, through soft and gooey to (if you leave them long enough) the ammonia-ridden senescence of a good cheese that went too long.

Classic example of a cheese that follows that path is the Vacherin de Mont d'Or from France (also a version from the other side of the border in Switzerland). Wonderful cheese you eat with a spoon or slather on rustic bread when in top shape, but a definite anti-personnel chemical weapon if you leave it too long (I've got one on order for this December)
User avatar
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'
 
Posts: 5046
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Persimmons, avocados, cheese... a lot of things are best when they're really, really ripe, i.e., the day _before_ they start going bad. :wink:
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Persimmons, avocados, cheese... a lot of things are best when they're really, really ripe, i.e., the day _before_ they start going bad. :wink:


au pic, n'est ce pas?
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Thomas wrote:au pic, n'est ce pas?

I'm more accustomed to hearing it as "au point," but maybe it's a regional French distinciton?
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 17189
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:au pic, n'est ce pas?

I'm more accustomed to hearing it as "au point," but maybe it's a regional French distinciton?


Yes, au pointe is more usual...au pic is probably more formal...au fuhgedaboudit. :)
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

LE RUSTIQUE (Jean Verrier) Camembert from Normandy. Awesomely ripe and gooey and stinky. I, of course, forgot to buy crackers at Trader Joe's today, but I have been literally dipping my fingers in the gooey goodness. Darn, this is delicious!

Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.



Mine was not over-ripe or ammonicac. Luck of the draw, I guess.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7098
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests