Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

eggplant yet again, with red pepper sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

eggplant yet again, with red pepper sauce

by Thomas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 am

Eggplant slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, dipped in egg, rolled in whole wheat flour with some turmeric mixed into the flour (for my aches and pains!).

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook eggplant in olive oil and garlic until each side is browned, place them one by one on the baking pan (I use parchment paper on top of the pan). When they are all sauteed and in the pan, put into oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until tender inside.

Red pepper sauce: before you start the eggplant, roast a few sweet red peppers and while they are roasting, in a small cup mix some sugar and white vinegar to get a "balanced" taste.
Remove the roasted skins and puree the pepper with a little sherry and some garlic.
Simmer the pepper sauce (grease it with a little olive oil), adding oregano to taste; then, slowly add the sugar/vinegar until you get the taste you like in the sauce.

When the eggplant is done, place the pieces on lightly wilted kale greens and put some the red pepper sauce over them.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: eggplant yet again, with red pepper sauce

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Thomas wrote:sugar

!!

Why the sugar? I love sweets, but find that roasted red peppers are often so intensely sweet by themselves that they need to be used carefully for a balanced dish.

But otherwise, sounds great and definitely two of my favorite ingredients. I'll be sad to see them go.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Thomas wrote:sugar

!!

Why the sugar? I love sweets, but find that roasted red peppers are often so intensely sweet by themselves that they need to be used carefully for a balanced dish.

But otherwise, sounds great and definitely two of my favorite ingredients. I'll be sad to see them go.

Mine are now all gone for this year. Just can't seem to grow enough eggplant or peppers...

I like to add vinegar to give the sauce a snap, but found that adding it without added sugar made the vinegar too pronounced.
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Thomas wrote:I like to add vinegar to give the sauce a snap, but found that adding it without added sugar made the vinegar to pronounced.

I guess I can sort of see that. Although it does depend on the vinegar.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 pm

Sounds delicious - I like the idea of adding the vinegar to give the dish a little more snap.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am

Thomas, do you "degourge" the eggplant prior to cooking? I've always been a little confused of this process.

Drew
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 am

Drew Hall wrote:Thomas, do you "degourge" the eggplant prior to cooking? I've always been a little confused of this process.

Drew

Drew:

Never. Did a long time ago, but found it meaningless.
Thomas P