How to celebrate Thanksgivukkah

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

How to celebrate Thanksgivukkah

Postby Frank Deis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanksgiving is very late this year, and Hanukkah is very early -- so that it turns out they are on the exact same day. This will not happen again for 70,000 years. I think you will enjoy wasting a little time with this article -- when I got down to the actual recipes I was surprised, nearly all of them sound delicious and different and really worth trying. And it is a clever concept. The idea is how to make traditional Thanksgiving foods "more Jewish" so you add horseradish and chives to your mashed potatoes, you use challah to make the stuffing, etc. Noodle kugel with sweet potatoes and bourbon sounds great to me.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/thanksgivukkah

And we're not Jewish but our neighbors are and we've shared a lot of holiday meals with them so I can visualize the flavors.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Re: How to celebrate Thanksgivukkah

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks for posting this; I was not aware of the unusual confluence. (And now I know about the menurkey and Texas Hold'em Dreidel... and the appalling concept of brining a turkey in Manischewitz.)
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Re: How to celebrate Thanksgivukkah

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Oh man - noodle kugel with sweet potatoes and bourbon sounds fantastic!

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Return to The Forum Kitchen