Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Crane melon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Crane melon

by John Treder » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm

The Crane family of the Crane Ranch near Sebastopol grows Crane melons.
They're nice and tasty, a bit sweeter and milder than a cantaloupe, and pretty big, more the size of a honeydew.
And, having been brought about 10 miles from the farm to the store, they're ripe. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Crane melon

by Jenise » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Wow do those look good! I love melon.

Btw, on Top Chef Masters the other night, the chefs were all offered an array of things that children supposedly don't like, such as cauliflower, beets and eggplant. I can relate--was negative on all three myself when a child. But along with those was melon. That stunned me--certainly wasn't a problem with me or my siblings, or anyone I remember knowing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 pm

I always liked cauliflower (well, unless cooked to mush), beets and eggplant (same caveat).
I don't like, and never have liked, bananas. I'll skip a fruit salad that's heavy on bananas. The banana taste makes grapes and pear bits and so forth taste yucky to me.
Shows to go ya.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Great stuff, I love different melons. Melon season is petering out around here, much to my chagrin.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 am

Crane is a fabulous melon.

I grow Ogan melon--almost as good as a Persian melon. Once had a cat named Flash who would sit on the table when I opened a melon and patiently stare at me until I shared with her.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 pm

John Treder wrote:I always liked cauliflower (well, unless cooked to mush), beets and eggplant (same caveat).
I don't like, and never have liked, bananas. I'll skip a fruit salad that's heavy on bananas. The banana taste makes grapes and pear bits and so forth taste yucky to me.
Shows to go ya.

I do love bananas. But not in a fruit salad--they tend to get slimy, and that's not appealing!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov