Limes on a grapefruit tree?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Limes on a grapefruit tree?

Postby Susan B » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm

My friend, Jenise, is pretty sure someone here has an answer. At our winter house we have a lovely Meyer lemon tree and a healthy white grapefruit tree. I don't enjoy much grapefruit and there is soooo much more than my husband can eat and I can afford to ship north. I would LOVE to have some limes. Does anyone know if limes can be grafted on to a mature grapefruit tree? I might try it if I could find appropriate lime twigs/branches. I'd prefer to have a professional do it. The trees are in the Coachella Valley in southern California. Does anyone have any experience? Recommendations? Sage advice?
Susan B
Ultra geek

Re: Limes on a grapefruit tree?

Postby Christina Georgina » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Susan, why not just plant a Meyer Lemon? I gave a friend a very small plant in a pot and the first year she had almost a dozen heavenly lemons. She has a greenhouse attached to her home, never lower than 68 degrees even if minus 30 here in Wisconsin. We had a great time using all of the zest and juice for various projects.
Seems like a sure bet rather than the work and worry of a graft.
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Susan B » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks, Christina, I must not have made myself clear. I have a beautiful and healthy Meyer lemon tree. I also have this grapefruit tree and am not sure I have enough room for a third, lime, tree. Nor am I certain I want to cut the grapefruit tree down. So I was hoping to find a way to trade in some of the grapefruits for limes.
Susan B
Ultra geek

Postby Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 pm

I think this would work. I suggest contacting a local horticulturalist and asking about the possibility of grafting lemon branches onto a grapefruit tree.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Mark Willstatter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Susan, almost all citrus is grafted anyway, likely including both of your trees, so there's no reason I know of why this shouldn't be possible. I'd suggest you contact your local Master Gardeners organization (assuming there is one) for help in locating somebody to do this for you.
Mark Willstatter
Ultra geek

Return to The Forum Kitchen