Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What food to pair with these wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

What food to pair with these wines

by Gary Bobier » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Here is your challenge

Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer, 2011

Cuvee Signee by Romain Parisis Chinon, 2009

Brian Carter Oriana, 2010 Viognier

Domaine de Paulilles Banyuls Rimage .375

The dinner will be for 6 people and I want to spend only $20-$25.00 per person for the food. I am looking to serve a different food with each wine.

As always I thank you in advance for all of your ideas

Gary
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What food to pair with these wines

by Jenise » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 pm

If you have never paired viognier with a tomato bisque, here's your chance to do it with brilliant in-season fresh summer tomatoes. Garnish with gorgonzola or roquefort. To die for.

Gewurz. Not a huge fan of this grape, but I do like it with smoked fish and curry flavors. It would pair well, then, with a fish course of smoked trout, say, served alongside some kind of salad, or even a leek mousse.

The Chinon. Expect cinnamon and celery flavors along with some fungal stuff, the kind of things that show well in a good braise of chicken or beef, or can be built into a built into a complex reduction sauce to go over, say, a stuffed pork tenderloin.

Banyuls! Have to admit, I'm not really a fan of dessert wines WITH dessert. After or before or instead of, but not with. That said, my memory bank reminds me that banyuls does have a reputation for pairing well with chocolate. And cigars. Chocolate-vanilla or chocolate-cherry combinations might be particularly good backdrops.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 pm

I've not tasted these wines, and the ZH is only one I've tasted other vintages of, so 12-14 grains of salt

Gary Bobier wrote:Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer, 2011

I'm not a believer in theory that Gewurz works with all Asian food, but there are similar flavors. Some of my fave Gewurz pairings have been with Ming Tsai recipes, especially a whole fried snapper with a mango salsa and "dry" Sichuan long beans. Also a MT recipe for spicy sweet potato soup, but don't remember exact recipe. But I think in general you want something with some fruit notes and a bit of spice, but not too complicated. I'll assume a ZH is fully ripe and maybe a bit of RS. Fine with real Muenster too, of course.

Cuvee Signee by Romain Parisis Chinon, 2009

Totally new producer to me, but Chinon in general is pretty food friendly. Right now I'm having Baudry with quail, but most meats work, and Chinon can handle some spice.

Brian Carter Oriana, 2010 Viognier

Never heard of producer, no clue re style. Condrieu is my only real view on Viognier, other than inexpensive blends like Pine Ridge. I'd assume a floral wine, and I have to say in a 4 wine dinner I'd not generally do 2 low acid/floral/aromatic varieties like Gewurz and Viognier. But again I'd think seafood with some spice

Domaine de Paulilles Banyuls Rimage .375

I seldom drink Banyuls, but people always suggest chocolate or maybe cooked fruit.

So I'd do an "Asian fusion" menu
Gewurz with fish or scallops with a fruit salsa (some chile heat, not much)
Viognier with maybe shrimp or lobster with pasta and a little spice
Pork tenderloin or beef (shortribs?) in a sauce (star anise? coffee?) with the Chinon
dessert with the Banyuls
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:46 pm

I think the Banyuls would do well with creme brulee or anything with nuts, in addition to chocolate.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 am

Dale, Brian Carter's a WA producer who concentrates on rhone varieties.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 am

Dale Williams wrote:I'm not a believer in theory that Gewurz works with all Asian food, but there are similar flavors. Some of my fave Gewurz pairings have been with Ming Tsai recipes, especially a whole fried snapper with a mango salsa and "dry" Sichuan long beans.

It's probably the ginger component working there. I agree that gewurz is gingery--sometimes these things end up depending on whether you're in the school that matching a characteristic highlights the wine better than contrasting it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Gewurztraminer - Spicy shellfish.

Chinon - We like to match Cab Franc with lighter lamb dishes such lamb burgers fluffed up with pine nuts, herbs, and a splash of the wine.

Viognier - Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.

Banyuls - Fudgy chocolate cake.
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:19 pm

This is what I am thinking of doing. Let me know if you see any large flaws.

Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer, 2011 Duck salami , assorted cheese and cured hams

Chinin Blanc Vouvray Home made Ricotta filled ravioli in a butter sage sauce

Brian Carter Oriana, 2010 Viognier Chilled apple carrot, apricot soup

Cuvee Signee by Romain Parisis Chinon, 2009 Grilled pork tenderloin stuffed with prosciutto and Swiss cheese with sauteed mush and green beans

Domaine de Paulilles Banyuls Rimage .375 Chocolate
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 am

No flaws.

I want to be there for the chenin/ravioli pairing! :)
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm

It should be interesting. I make the ricotta fresh and add black pepper and chopped green scallion tops.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 pm

GorGeous menu. Tell us more about that chilled soup--I think that is a particularly interesting combination.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:12 am

Thanks to the generosity of the Somm at Citronelle many years ago, I am now convinced that the best match for Banyuls is Foie Gras. Also probably the best match for foie gras as well as I think it worked better than the chateau d'yquem that we tried at another time.