Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What happened to my beets ????

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

What happened to my beets ????

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I have oven roasted beets on many occasions, wrapping washed, unpeeled beets in foil and have never had a problem. This weekend, following Patrick O'Connell's recipe for a beet carpaccio I tossed beets with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sprigs of thyme and rosemary and put them in the oven in a foil covered roasting dish. After the suggested time of 40 min I checked them, took the easily pierced ones out and put the remainder back in. I did this several times as they were quite varied in size. Rather than getting softer with time the larger beets got hard and the ones I thought perfectly cooked also became hard and IMPOSSIBLE to peel. What could have happened ??
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What happened to my beets ????

by Jenise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Mamma mia is right. I've never heard of such a thing, Christina! What did you do with them? I might have tossed them into some boiling water--not that you should have to but at that point you had nothing to lose.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:18 pm

They are in the fridge. I'm afraid to look at them again.....they might be rocks by now. I am still going for a carpaccio though. I'll probably be able to mandoline them quite thin.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 pm

That's really weird. We roast a lot of beets (usually wrapped individually in foil) and have never had that happen.

I wonder how they'll be when you go to use them?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm

It gets worse !!!. They are hard as rocks. Sliceable but crunchy, like raw and the orange ones have a brown center......I can only think that the vegetable itself was a problem ??
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Brown center! I am reminded of when my chiogga beets turned black after cooking, in spots, but they didn't turn hard. This is really mystifying!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:18 am

Could it be that they were too dry? Perhaps what little juice steamed out of them and instead of softening they became rocks.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 am

I'd also guess that there was something wrong with the beets themselves, but that's just a guess.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child