Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Using the salt block for cold food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Using the salt block for cold food

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 pm

After several times cooking hot with it, this was my first time using it cold. It was great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Using the salt block for cold food

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:26 pm

This is beautiful, Karen.. You have an abundance of tomatoes like that already?! :shock: So far, I've only got golf ball sized tomatoes on a couple plants and only blossoms on others. But the hot weather the past week has caused those plants to bolt and really show some promise. Maybe by August! :?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:22 pm

I. Want. That.

:)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:This is beautiful, Karen.. You have an abundance of tomatoes like that already?! :shock: So far, I've only got golf ball sized tomatoes on a couple plants and only blossoms on others. But the hot weather the past week has caused those plants to bolt and really show some promise. Maybe by August! :?

I wish Jo Ann...the small gold Sungold Cherry are mine and one or two of the big ones. The rest I got at the Farmer's Market. The grower starts them early in tunnels, then remove the tunnel when the weather warms up. I don't have that luxury. They were great tasting however and flew off the salt block fast. The salt that it gives the food is just right.

My tomatoes are plentiful on the vine right now, I've had Lemon Boy (a pretty yellow) Celebrity, and one or two others. My San Marzano, have actually cooked on the vine, not sure what is up with that as none of the others have that problem. Guess the San Marzano don't like 116°, even though we put shade cloth up. I picked the cooked ones yesterday and threw them into a chili I made. This morning the rest went into a baby zucchini medley with leeks, white wine and Herbs de Provence. Nothing goes to waste from my garden. It is expensive anymore to keep a veggie garden! :evil: Thanks to high water bills, organic fertilizer and labor! However, I will not give it up...nothing like your very own stuff.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 am

So it keeps the food cold and adds a touch of salt to it? Wow!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:So it keeps the food cold and adds a touch of salt to it? Wow!

You got it Mike, and it did a great job of it. The tomatoes and cukes flew off the block, Even the kids came back for seconds. My son asked me if I added salt to the tomatoes (he's the one who gave me the block) and I told him no. He was impressed. Only issue I had was after about 25 minutes, the tomatoes were sending juice down the side of the block to the granite counter top. I tucked a white cloth neatly around the three edges, problem solved. I did have to clean up some salt residue on the granite....no big deal.